Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

Doubts about mac stack.

Hi all,

I would like to configure, in all my ironstacks, a mack stack for when one unit fails, the other unit remains the same mac.

Actually If I've an ironstack formed by 2 units, I use the mac of the primary unit in order to be the mac of the stack if a failover exists.

I think its not a bad idea but in the future, some master units could be reemplaced and this will break the rule because the mac address of the master unit will change.

Which are the best form to configure the mac stack address? ¿What method do you use? ¿Does exist a way for autoconfigure this mac address the own stack?.

Thanks, 

Super Contributor

Re: Doubts about mac stack.

Sorry I do not understand your question.

Is it that you are trying to setup the switches in stacking mode?

Thanmks

Michael.

N/A

evargas,

If I understand your question, you can set a stack mac to any that are not used in your network...it doesn't have to be the mac of the master in the stack. For instance you can use 0000.0000.0001 and so on:

FGS648P-STK Switch(config)# stack mac 0000.0000.0001

Even if you use the mac of the master as your model you dont have to change mac when you change master unless you put that switch back in your network somewhere else, thats where the above example has the edge.

When talking setting a static mac its actually recommended by Brocade when doing hitless stacking failover.

Contributor

Thanks for your answers.

Finnally I have put one secuential mac in every stack. 0000.0000.0001 in the first and 0000.0000.0002 in the second etc.

I think it's the best option. With this method, if I need to change any unit, I will not need to think about the change of mac.

Thanks for all.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.