Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

DHCP in my switch if the dhcp server fails?

Hi all,

Just a simple question.

Its possible, than Brocade Fast Iron FCX624S acts as DHCP server only if the dhcp server(windows) fails?

Thanks¡¡¡

Contributor

Re: DHCP in my switch if the dhcp server fails?

And one last question:

If I configure some IP-Helper-address in a Virtual Interface. Which is the way that Brocade acts  ?

ip helper address 10.10.10.10

Ip helper address 10.20.20.20

The DHCP unicast request, asks first one server and if it doesn't respond it asks the other server. Does it?

Super Contributor

Hi  evargas,

Firstly, if you have two DHCP servers (one on the switch and one on a server) then the client will send a broadcast asking for a DHCP server.

The frist device to answer will service the DHCP request.

If using DHCP helper then the client send the broadcast, the switch will then unicast to the server and forward reply from the server to the client.

So if I am understanding what you want to do then.

You would use two ip helper address on the VE - first for the server and second for the switches DHCP ip address.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Michael.

Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

What it's the order that the switch ask abouth this IP addresses. It sends the unicast message to the 2 servers or it send it in order?

Thanks ¡¡

Super Contributor

Hi evargas,

My understanding is that ip helper will send to only one DHCP server at a time, then after timeout move to the next.

You can have a max of 16 helper address per interface on the FastIrons.

Thanks

Michael.

Contributor

Hi Msschip,

For example, in Cisco, the request is send to all the ip-helper addresses configured and, finally, the client use the first that has reply...

Im not sure...

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.