Ethernet Switches & Routers

Frequent Contributor

DHCP NetIron MLXe/CER

Hello community,

I am trying to configure very basic DHCP on MLXe/CER platforms.

I just want to announce IP address/mask + GW + DNS on a particular physical port.

NetIron documentation isn't helpful, google fu not so efficient this morning.

Any hints ?

Thank you.

Frequent Contributor

Re: DHCP NetIron MLXe/CER

Hello,

No answers for this thread. Any feedback ?

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor

Have you reviewed the section below from the NetIron  Configuration Guide. I believe this may address what you are trying to accomplish. Let me know if im not understanding your goal. link below:

Helper address – The BootP or DHCP server’s IP address. You must configure the helper address on the interface that receives the BootP or DHCP requests from the client. The Brocade device cannot forward a request to the server unless you configure a helper address for the server.

Gateway address– The Brocade device places the IP address of the interface that received the BootP or DHCP request in the request packet’s Gateway Address field (sometimes called the Router ID field). When the server responds to the request, the server sends the response as a unicast packet to the IP address in the Gateway Address field. (If the client and server are directly attached, the Gateway ID field is empty and the server replies to the client using a unicast or broadcast packet, depending on the server.)

By default, the Brocade device uses the lowest-numbered IP address on the interface that receives the request as the Gateway address. You can override the default by specifying the IP address you want the Brocade device to use.

Hop Count – Each router that forwards a BootP or DHCP packet increments the hop count by 1. Routers also discard a forwarded BootP or DHCP request instead of forwarding the request if the hop count is greater than the maximum number of BootP or DHCP hops allowed by the router. By default, the Brocade device forwards a BootP or DHCP request if its hop count is four or less, but discards the request if the hop count is greater than four. You can change the maximum number of hops the Brocade device will allow to a value from 1 – 15.

Syntax:

If the ip bootp-source-address command is configured on the interface where the BootP or DHCP request is received, then the configured address will be used as the source IP address for the forwarded packets.

Syntax:
ip bootp-source-address ip-addr
Frequent Contributor

Hello Bill,

Sorry, but this isn't what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm looking for something very similar to this in Cisco land :

ip dhcp pool LAN

network 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0

dns-server 192.168.10.10 192.168.10.11

default-router 192.168.10.1

lease 0 4

And I want to be able to do this only on a particular interface.

Thanks.

Y.

Frequent Contributor

MLXe/CER can’t act as a DHCP server which is what these Cisco commands do.

Essentially the MLXe/CER does not support this feature.

MLXe/CER can only forward DHCP requests with the command ip helper command as noted above.

-Bill

Frequent Contributor

Hello Bill,

That's what I was suspecting.

Thank you for the feedback.

Regards.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.