Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor
tduran1

Connecting a BigIronRX to an MLXe?

All,

We are about to make a move from (2) BigIron RX4 switches running Ver2.8.0aT143 to (2) MLXe switches.  In and effort to migrate our connections to the new switches with the least amount of disruption, we wanted to connect the RX's to the MLX's.  Can we simply create a LAG between them, treating the RX's as if they were an edge switch?  Need more info?

Thanks in advance!

Super Contributor
mschipp

Re: Connecting a BigIronRX to an MLXe?

Hi

I think we a lot more info here to help you.  Can you please let us know how the RX units are setup and what they are running?  Also how are you thinking of running the MLXe's?

One possible way could be to add the MLXe's above the RX (have the RX still in place and route traffic to the MLXe's from the RX's, then start moving services to the MLX's. 

Thanks

Michael.

New Contributor
tduran1

Michael,

Sure.  We are an ISCSI, boot-from-san setup.  So, we have our SAN and servers spread out on (2) RX's. The MLX's are configured with MCT and in place ready to go.  Yes, my goal is to add the MLX's above the RX's if possible.  Then move the servers first to the MLX's, leaving the SAN last to move.  If the servers that are moved to the MLX's can still talk to the SAN, which is still on the RX, then I should be good.  I am going to the MLX's partly for it's Multi Chassis Trunking capabilites.

At the moment, I tried setting up a dynamic lag from (1) of the RX's using (2) 10g FCoE ports i.e. x/7, x/8. x/7 goes to MLX 1, and x/8 goes to MLX 2.  I also tried to setup same vlan's and ve config on the RX's as the MLX's.  With (1) server on the MLX, I can ping the SAN on the RX, and I get 1 reply back, but then it times out...Switch_Connections.JPG

New Contributor
tduran1

After some discussion, I was able to connect the RX to the MCT MLX's, with a simple (2) port lag, (1) from each RX to each MLX.  Also, I had to leave the LAG ports on the RX untagged, while tagging the LAG ports on the MLX.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.