Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

¿Cannot put static route to a network learned by ospf?

Hi all,

I'm trying to put a static route in a Brocade L3 switch  FCX624S with a L3 firmware.

For example, the switch knows the network 192.168.1.0/24 and its learned by ospf. The network, logically it's not directly connected.

When i put for exampe ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 192.168.1.8 they not appears in the routing table. I think its because the network its learned but its not directly connected. 

In cisco i think you can put the route static to a network that you have learned by routing protocols.

Can anyone confirm this? I need to put the next hop to reach the network 10.0.0.0?

Thanks.

N/A

Re: ¿Cannot put static route to a network learned by ospf?

Hi all,

I'm trying to put a static route in a Brocade L3 switch FCX624S with a L3 firmware.

For example, the switch knows the network 192.168.1.0/24 and its learned by ospf. The network, logically it's not directly connected.

When i put for exampe ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 192.168.1.8 they not appears in the routing table. I think its because the network its learned but its not directly connected.

In cisco i think you can put the route static to a network that you have learned by routing protocols.

Can anyone confirm this? I need to put the next hop to reach the network 10.0.0.0?

Thanks.

Hi,

In cisco terms: You are trying to put a next hop in your routing table through a network that is not directly connected to the device. As far as i know this won't work. What you could do is instead of using: 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 192.168.1.8 is 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 <outgoing interface>.

What this does is sending the packets that have the destination of 10.0.0.0 out of the interface that's heading towards that subnet. That way it doesn't have to be directly connected but be aware that a static-route has a lower AD then dynamic routing protocols. You can also make you static route "floating" by putting a higher AD at the end of the command, so it would be like: ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 <outgoing interface> 115 (ospf has 110, that way ospf will be in the routing-table, but if it fails the static-route will be injected)

Hope this helps

Contributor

The other reply spells this out for you... The best way to do this is to redistribute the route on the router that is directly connected to this network.

you could alternatively add a seperate static to point to the 192.168.1.8 host. So that the router knows what interface to go out of. This is not the best way to do this as you are circumventing OSPF by doing this (Quick and Dirty) When using a routing protocol on a broadcast based network you should always think of static routes as "next hop routing" because that really all it is. I hope this helps.

Contributor

Thanks for the replys.

Finally i have thought the best option is to put a static route to the next hop and finally redistribute this route in the OSPF area.

Thanks ¡¡

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.