Ethernet Switches & Routers

Regular Visitor

Cannot manage Layer 2 switches behind layer 3 switch

Hello, 

I have a couple ICX-6430's that uplink to a 7250.  On the 7250, I have vlan 500 with the ip of 10.3.100.2 set as the management vlan, which I can access from telnet.  However on the ICX6430's I have the same vlan 500 set as management and ip addresses of 10.3.100.3 and 10.3.100.4 behind that.  Unfortunately, I can't log in via telnet to the 6430's where I could when I have them on the default vlan with a different address.  Any ideas?  I can post configs if needed. 

External Moderator

Re: Cannot manage Layer 2 switches behind layer 3 switch

[ Edited ]

Hi,

-> I can post configs if needed.  - post config that would be fine -

However from Admin Guide

A management port is not part of any VLAN

Creating a management VLAN disables the management port on the device.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Make sure you're tagging both end of the links between the 6430s and the 7250 for vlan 500.

Contributor

Another great thing to do is double-check the gateways are set correctly or you will be able to manage them from the same subnet but not through another layer-3.

Lastly, you will need to make sure you don't have: no telnet server in there; since, you siad you are using telnet.

That said, you should eventually upgrade them to support only SSH (for security), but only bother after you fix this problem.

"crypto key generate rsa modulus 2048" is all that is really needed to turn that on.

You can do a "show ip ssh" to take a look as well and see if it is enabled.  Once you get this working, you will want to shut down the Telnet server via "no telnet" at global config.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.