Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

Can't get turboiron 10g interface up with brocade active 3m sfp cable

Hi,

I'm new to Brocade prodcuts so please bear with me.  We have two Ti24's for 10gig nfs from storage to vmware hosts that I am trying to implement.  I have 5 esxi servers connected with a 10gbe link to each switch and they all link up and I've tested vmotion over it and its very fast.

Now I am trying to get the storage array connected which is an EMC VNX5200.  They supplied me with Brocade Active Twinax 3m cables so I plugged them into the array's 10gbe ethernet sfp ports and the other end into the brocade (4 cables in total).  The link light just will not illuminate on the switch or the storage array.

On the storage array I assigned IP addresses and ensured that these interfaces are live.  On the switch I went into the ports, in this example e10 and e20 and did "enable" and they really should be enabled by default because I didn't have to do that for ports 1 through 5 for my vmhosts.

If I show media for e1 I see the cable there which says 10GER Twinax 1 (SFP +) Vendor: BROCADE Version: A, Part#: 58-1000026-01.  I've done the same for the Brocade branded cables provided by EMC for this solution (they also spec'd the switch and everything) and it just says Type: 1G M-C (Gig-Copper).

If I sh int e20 for example I get this:

10GigabitEthernet20 is down, line protocol is down
Hardware is 10GigabitEthernet, address is 748e.f86c.bde7 (bia 748e.f86c.bde7)
Configured speed 10Gbit, actual unknown, configured duplex fdx, actual unknown
Member of L2 VLAN ID 1, port is untagged, port state is BLOCKING
BPDU guard is Disabled, ROOT protect is Disabled
Link Error Dampening is Disabled
STP configured to ON, priority is level0
Flow Control is enabled
Mirror disabled, Monitor disabled
Not member of any active trunks
Not member of any configured trunks
No port name
IPG XGMII 96 bits-time
MTU 9216 bytes
300 second input rate: 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec, 0.00% utilization
300 second output rate: 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec, 0.00% utilization
0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 0 broadcasts, 0 multicasts, 0 unicasts
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 ignored
0 runts, 0 giants
0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
Transmitted 0 broadcasts, 0 multicasts, 0 unicasts
0 output errors, 0 collisions
Relay Agent Information option: Disabled

Any ideas how to get this up and running?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Can't get turboiron 10g interface up with brocade active 3m sfp cable

Brocade has both 10G SFP+ Twinax and 1G SFP Twinax, the part number for the SFP+ is 10G-SFP-TWX-XXXX (where XXXX is the length) and the SFP based 1G is 1G-SFP-TWX-0x01.

It appears they sent you the 1G cables, pull one of the ones working with VMWare and see if it works.

Otherwise you can tell the port to negotiate to 1G Full and see if it comes up, which it should since it's a 1G cable.

Go to the interface and type speed 1000

Occasional Contributor

Re: Can't get turboiron 10g interface up with brocade active 3m sfp cable

I tried the working cables from vmware but I couldn't get a link.  I think the VNX5200 storage array requires Active Twinax but the cables on vmware are passive twinax because these "active" ones didn't link up with the QLogic 10gbe nics in those servers.

I can get one of these active cables to connect at 1g between two switches.  Problem with the array is its set to 10000FD and no way to change it.  If you want gig you have to use Cat5e copper connection which is another interface and on that one you can alter the duplex and speed.

So what are possible SFP+ 10gig fiber or active twinax copper that will actually sync at 10 gig?

I can use fiber in the array too, just have to match the correct type (multimode / singlemode / etc.)

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.