Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can ping from switch but cannot ping switch from pc

I recently deployed an ICX6610 48 port switch. I copied the config from a 24 port ICX6610 via TFTP. All ports are active.

The problem is: on the new 48 port switch, I can ping any host on our LAN, and even external websites, but I cannot ping the switch from my PC or other switches on our LAN.

I took a look at the switch's config, and the VLANS seem correct.

Can anyone provide any insight? I can provide my config if necessary.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Can ping from switch but cannot ping switch from pc

A config would help, my assumption is you assigned the IP address to the management port and maybe never plugged it in? 

New Contributor

I attached the running config.

Contributor

Based on your config, you are depending on your loopback address as the switch address.  This is in vlan 1 according to your output.  You also have a bad subnet mask - it needs to be a subnet rather than a single IP.

You really shouldn't use vlan 1, but anyway...

Under vlan 1, define it as your management-vlan and give it your default-gateway address for that subnet.

Normally, you would setup a Brocade like so:

SW1(config)#ip address 10.157.252.22/24        <= this needs to be a subnet, not a single host

SW1(config)#vlan 99 name Management

SW1(config-vlan-99)#management-vlan

SW1(config-vlan-99)#default-gateway 10.157.252.1 1

SW1(config-vlan-99)#end

This sets the IP of the switch, creates a Management vlan, tells the switch that the IP is now accessed via vlan 99, and sets the gateway for this.

You don't need a ve for this as the management-vlan basically redirects the physical switch IP into the management vlan.

Brocade Moderator

When you say that you are unable to ping the switch which interface is not responding.  Is it a particular interface or is it all interfaces?

Looking through the configuration, I assume that the PCs are in VLAN 600, but can you confirm?

New Contributor

Thanks for the responses everyone.

The solution was: to remove the LAG from the ports. Since this was a lab swith, LAG was not needed. The switch was pingable after removing the LAG.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.