Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

Can I use ip helper on FWS 624G with base layer 3 firmware?

I have loaded firmware version FWSL07400d on my FWS 624G and am booted under this version, but can not figure out how to invoke the "ip helper address" to pass DHCP requests to my DHCP server on a different VLAN/subnet. Is this possible with the Base Layer 3 firmware?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Can I use ip helper on FWS 624G with base layer 3 firmware?

Hi John,

Yes you can setup the IP Helper on the FWS.

Configuring an IP helper address
To forward a client broadcast request for a UDP application when the client and server are on different networks, you must configure a helper address on the interface connected to the  client.

Specify the server IP address or the subnet directed broadcast address of the IP subnet the  server is in as the helper address.

You can configure up to 16 helper addresses on each interface. You can configure a helper
address on an Ethernet port or a virtual interface.

To configure a helper address on interface 2 on chassis module 1, enter the following commands.
Brocade(config)# interface ethernet 1/2
Brocade(config-if-1/2)# ip helper-address 1 207.95.7.6

The commands in this example change the CLI to the configuration level for port 1/2, then add a helper address for server 207.95.7.6 to the port. If the port receives a client request for any of the applications that the Layer 3 Switch is enabled to forward, the Layer 3 Switch forwards the client request to the server.

Syntax: ip helper-address <num> <ip-addr>

The <num> parameter specifies the helper address number and can be from 1 through 16.

The <ip-addr> command specifies the server IP address or the subnet directed broadcast address of the IP subnet the server is in.

Also from memory I think you can just add it to the VE for the VLAN instead of each of the interfaces.

Thanks
Michael.
Thanks
Michael
Contributor

Thanks Michael.

I figured out that I had to assign the ip-helper to the virtual interface. I had been trying to add it to the global config. Works like a charm now!

Michael, you are soo helpful on these forums. I'm proud to have a question answered by you Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you John, happy to help where I can.

Thanks
Michael

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.