Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Bigiron SX800 copper module strange behaviour

Hello,

I am a system integrator, CCTV networks.

On one of our sites we have existing CCTV system of 250 cameras, which we need to extend to 700+ cameras.

The existing network is based on a Bigiron SX800 switch, with the following modules:

module 1 fi-sx4-24-port-gig-copper-module

module 2 fi-sx4-24-port-gig-copper-module

module 5 fi-sx4-24-port-gig-fiber-module

module 9 fi-sx-0-port-management-module

module 10 fi-sx-0-port-management-module

The problem we have lies within module 1. The first group of 12 copper ports are behaving as they should and all connections are perfectly fine. The second group of 12 copper ports (13-24) are acting strange. The connected devices (servers) are pingable but the links are dropping frames and the connection is unstable. When trying to review cameras trough any of these ports there is a skipping issue with the stream. The same servers when connected to ports 1-12 have normal connectivity and the video streams are smooth.

When trying to troubleshoot the problem we could not find any difference in the port configuration neither with the CLI no trough the web interface.

Perhaps someone can give us an idea whether there is any misconfiguration or probable case for RMA? Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Martin Martinov

MVP Techule

Super Contributor

Re: Bigiron SX800 copper module strange behaviour

Hi Martin,

The line card is broken up into to packet processors (PP1 is 1-12 and PP2 is 13-24), looks to me link you mights have a faulty card.  please log a call with the TAC.

Thanks

Michael.

New Contributor

MIchael, thank you for the quick reply.

Is there a way to test whether the module is faulty?

The core switch is in production and actions such as restarting and module disconnection are highly undesirable.

And pardon my ignorance, what is TAC team you are suggesting we contact? Contact details?

Super Contributor

Hi Martin,

There are no commands that I know that for testing the card at that level on a SX800 (they do exist in the RX and MLX).

The Brocade TAC is where you log issues (provided you are under maintenance) as they should know of some other commands that might be able to test the card.  The TAC will require a 'show tech' and the serial number of the backplane (serial no from memory can be display by either 'show ver' or 'chow chassie' - sorry do not remember which)

I have seen the exact same issue on an Bigiron RX and the cause was a faulty card.

If you do not have maintenance on the device please let me know.

Thanks

Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.