Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor
dumstattd

Access, Voice and Trunking with VLANs

Hello,

I am very new to Brocade.  I come from a Cisco world where you configure vlans. Then set the access vlan, and voice vlan of a port.  Or if it is a trunk port then you simply pick the trunk encapsulation and then set the port to trunk mode.  Moving to Brocade devices now and am having troubles getting a grasp of how you do the same tasks on our FastIron SX1600.  I am using fi-sx6-24-port-1gig-copper-poe-module as my switch cards in the chassis.  I am running SXL07400 software on the chassis.  Any pointers and guidance is appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

Super Contributor
mschipp

Re: Access, Voice and Trunking with VLANs

Hi Dumstattd,

Please have a look at the PDF here http://community.brocade.com/docs/DOC-2347 - the page you are after is 19.

Thanks

Michael.

Message was edited by: Michael Schipp - updated URL

Super Contributor
mschipp

vlan.jpg

New Contributor
dumstattd

Ok so in sort, tag is equal to trunking.  Untag is equal to access vlan.  And for voice vlan you set that on the actual interface.  What i have encountered is that if i have a port being used by a cisco phone that needs a data vlan and a voice vlan is that the port has to be tagged in both vlans or else it will not let you set the voice vlan inside the port config.  Is this correct?

Thanks,

Dan

New Contributor
dumstattd

Ok so after some trial and error.  I have figured something out.  I have my access vlan (201) and my voice vlan (10).  And i wanted mac based port security in place as well.  Here is what my config looks like after i got things going.  Can you confirm that is the best practice methods of doing so?

interface ethernet 3/1

dual-mode  201

spanning-tree 802-1w admin-edge-port

inline power

voice-vlan 10

stp-bpdu-guard

port security

enable

maximum 3

secure-mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx 201

secure-mac-address aaaa.aaaa.aaaa 201

secure-mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx 10

vlan 10

tag eth 3/1

vlan 201

tag eth 3/1

Super Contributor
mschipp

Hi Dan,

That looks spot on.  The only thing I might add would be the command "loop-detection" on the interface level. (shut down port if see same traffic coming back into the same port).

Thanks

Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.