Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

2x FCX624S with multiple LACP trunks - are they suitable for us ?

Hi all,

We're looking around for a pair of switches to connect our voip servers to (so main traffic will be SIP and RTP). We need everything to be fully redundant - so each server- but also an entire switch must be able to fail without any service interruption (or at least very short).

Our plan is to start with 8 servers, where each machine connects to the stack via 2 gige links (1 to each physical switch) configured in an LACP trunk. On top of each LACP trunk we want to do vlan tagging.

- Spec sheet pdf states "single-link LACP". What does that mean ? (I hope it doesn't mean only a single LACP trunk is possible?)

- Spec sheet pdf states that 32 trunk groups can be configured, does this mean 32 LACP trunks are possible per switch / stack ?

- Is it possible to spread members of an LACP trunk over different switches in a single stack ?

- Can we do VLAN's over the LACP trunks ?

So in short, is it possible what we want with the FCX624S switches ?

One other thing, would you advise the 624S or 624 model for our use ? The switches will obviously go into a datacenter, but from what I understand, the 624S model has 16Gbps Stack ports while the 624 uses 10Gbe for stacking. In the latter (10Gbe) case, are the stacked switches still seen as a single logical switch ? (So is LACP with members on separate switches in a single stack still possible - if at all ?)

Thanks a lot & kind regards,

Leon de Rooij

Super Contributor

Re: 2x FCX624S with multiple LACP trunks - are they suitable for us ?

Hi Leon,

- Spec sheet pdf states "single-link LACP". What does that mean ? (I hope it doesn't mean only a single LACP trunk is possible?)

Answer : Single link LACP for when you want to use the LACP protocol for one port only.LACP can detect failurs better and offers extra controll.

- Spec sheet pdf states that 32 trunk groups can be configured, does this mean 32 LACP trunks are possible per switch / stack ?

Answer : Yes 32 per switch OR per stack

- Is it possible to spread members of an LACP trunk over different switches in a single stack ?

Anwer : Yes

- Can we do VLAN's over the LACP trunks ?

Answer : Yes

One other thing, would you advise the 624S or 624 model for our use ?

Answer : Suggest the 624S

The switches will obviously go into a datacenter, but from what I understand, the 624S model has 16Gbps Stack ports while the 624 uses 10Gbe for stacking. In the latter (10Gbe) case, are the stacked switches still seen as a single logical switch ? (So is LACP with members on separate switches in a single stack still possible - if at all ?)

Answer : Yes seen as a single switch.

Thanks

Michael.

New Contributor

Re: 2x FCX624S with multiple LACP trunks - are they suitable for us ?

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot, that's everything I wanted to know. We'll order a pair of the 624S switches for testing.

Kind regards,

Leon

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.