Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

New Contributor
marrone

vlan classifier rule proto fcoe or fip Error

Our Brocade 8000 used to run FCoE traffic OK.  It was powered cycled, then upgraded to 7.1.0.
While trying to configure it we get the message:

BRCD8000(config)#vlan classifier rule 1 proto fip encap ethv2

^

% Error: Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

"Fabric OS Command Reference Supporting Fabric OS v7.1.0"
says I can enter:   
switch:admin>(config)# vlan classifier rule 2 proto fip \
encap ethv2

We have the same issue with "fcoe" instead of "fip". We tried to trick it using the Ethertype but the switch is smart enough to know:
BRCD8000(config)#vlan classifier rule 5 proto 0x8906 encap ethv2
% Error: Cannot create rule with FCoE/FIP ethertype

Any ideas about why this does not work on my switch?

Contributor
jaymike3

Re: vlan classifier rule proto fcoe or fip Error

I haven't done this myself yet, but I believe the issue is the change in the way fcoe ports are configured after upgrading to v7.x. These statements are in the v7.x Release Notes which suggests it is going to take some reconfiguration to get things going again:

When upgrading a Brocade 8000 or DCX/DCX-4S with one or more FCOE10-24 blades from FOS v6.x to FOS v7.0.0 or later, the user should carefully review Chapter 5 of the FOS v7.0.0 Converged Enhanced Ethernet Administrator’s Guide.

FOS v7.0 or later supports a new optimized model for provisioning FCoE with fewer configuration steps to enable FCoE on DCB ports. These changes do not allow the Brocade 8000 to retain FCoE configuration information following an upgrade to FOS v7.0 or later. After the upgrade to FOS v7.0 or later, all FCoE edge ports will need to be provisioned with the new model before any FIP FLOGIs will take place

A look into the "Converged Enhanced Ethernet Administrator’s Guide Supporting Fabric OS v7.0.0" shows this statement which I think is what is hanging you up:

No VLAN classifiers (including FIP and FCoE classifiers) are allowed to be configured for the FCoE VLAN.

The rest of Chapter 5 and 6 should have what you need. hth.

New Contributor
marrone

Re: vlan classifier rule proto fcoe or fip Error

Thank you!  The pointer to "Converged Enhanced Ethernet Administrator’s Guide Supporting Fabric OS v7.0.0" was very helpful.

I read through the documents in the 7.1.0 link, but not the ones in the 7.0.1 link so I missed it.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.