Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

"keep-alive timeout" in BROCADE causes the NP link flap in cisco nexus switch.

I have connected BROCADE VDX6740 with cisco nexus switch to bring an FCOE link with nexus switch as a host. FCoE VF port is brought up in brocade device. we observe NP link getting flapped  every 4 minutes 23 seconds in nexus device,

This happens only when i configure "keep-alive timeout" under fcoe fabric map in BROCADE switch.

However if remove the "keep-alive timeout" from the fcoe fabric map, link flap wont happen.

Can any one help us the significance of "keep-alive timeout" and why the link flap happens evey 4 minutes 23 seconds.

fcoe
fabric-map default
keep-alive timeout

Contributor

Re: "keep-alive timeout" in BROCADE causes the NP link flap in cisco nexus switch.

I don't have an answer, but I think this brings up an important point about Brocade. This should be something that we should easily be able to look up. The only peice of documentation that I can find about the "keep-alive timeout" is in a command reference guide, however, it is very vague and does not provide an explaination. I think documentation is an area that Brocade needs a massive improvement. There is nothing worse then not having the appropriate resources to do your job without having to open a TAC case for every simple question that should easily be answered in documentation. I have found this to be true with all of their product lines.

Jacob Bartlett
http://bartlett.network
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jacobbartlett

Re: "keep-alive timeout" in BROCADE causes the NP link flap in cisco nexus switch.

New Contributor

Found the root cause.

When "keep alive timeout" is configured on brocade switch,

it expects two keep alive messages.

Num of FIP Enode Keep Alives        : 110

Num of FIP VN Port Keep Alives      : 108

Cisco switch not sending the VN port Keep ALives hence the link is flapping ( 90 * 3  = 270 sec ) .

Thanks for the responses.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.