Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

XISL configuration appear the following error "FC E-Port segmented,(ESC mismatch, Fabric ID)"

Dear expert:

I have connect the both logical switches in the same physical switch and appear the upper error.

I have reviewed all the parameters in both switches with configshow -fid and configshow -patter "fabric.ops" and they looks like the same.

I have configured several times enable and disable but it looks like with the same error.

Could you give me some kind of clue or trick to resolve this issue?

Thanks for your collaboration, Gema.

Valued Contributor

Re: XISL configuration appear the following error "FC E-Port segmented,(ESC mismatch, Fabric ID)"

You cannot merge LSs with a different Fabric ID.

From what i understand, you have

-1 chassis

-created 2 logical switches

-and now want to use XISL to connect both LSs.

Why doe you want to do that? Better te create a one larger logical switch and you're done.

New Contributor

Re: XISL configuration appear the following error "FC E-Port segmented,(ESC mismatch, Fabric ID)"

You can't connect logical switches in the same physical switch by use of an XISL. XISL's are used to connect logical switches between physical switches. (sharing the physical bandwidth/links connecting the physical switches).

Only way to connect logical switches in the same phyiscal switch is by use of a BackBone fabric. But why would you want to connect two logical switches  on the same physical switch? why not create one logical switch and be done with it.

René

Occasional Contributor

Hi René.

It´s great to know that the switch have to be backbone switch no base switch.

I´m connected in this way in order to do the testing between both logical switches ( I know that there isnt very much sense in production but I´m testing with the actual infrastructure that I haveonly one br5300 which support VSAN).

Kind regards, Gema.

Super Contributor

Hi Gema,

if I remeber it correctly you should disable your switch run the configure command select fabric parameters and activate "Disable FID check".

Then it should be possible to merge switches with different FIDs.

If my statement is correct or if I am wrong please come back and confirm my post.

This question came up here from time to time. This will help others to find a solution.

Thanks,

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Hi Andreas.

I have executed from configure parameter Disable FID Check (yes, y, no, n): and final statuts looks the same;

Index Port Address Media Speed State     Proto
==============================================
33  33   0c0000   id    N8   Online      FC  E-Port  segmented,(ESC mismatch, Unknown)
34  34   0c0100   id    N8   Online      FC  E-Port  segmented,(ESC mismatch, Unknown)

So I understand as previous post that there is not possible to do the XISL between base switches (logical one)  in the same physical switch this is why continues the same error message, if this like that for my side it´s ok and I will close the request.

New Contributor

Gema,

you might be able to make an ISL between the logical switches by physically cabling the ISL between the logical switches and disabling the FID check.

René

Occasional Contributor

Hi René.

I have disable the XISL and  disable FID check also and the error is still continue:

Allow XISL Use (yes, y, no, n): no
WARNING!! Disabling this parameter will cause removal of LISLs to
other logical switches. Do you want to continue? (yes, y, no, n): yes

Disable FID Check (yes, y, no, n):

switch_12:FID12:admin> switchshow
switchName:     switch_12

Allow XISL Use: OFF
LS Attributes: 

Kind regards, Gema.

New Contributor

Gema,

Then the only option would be to use a backbone fabric. you can build a BB fabric in your base switch, but you do need to physically cable the logical switches to the base switch.

the steps woud be:

- set EX ports in your base switch

- physically cable the EX ports to (E) ports in your logical switches (even if the logical switch is in the same physical chassis)

- create approriate LSAN zoning.

Regards,

René

Occasional Contributor

Hi René.

Ok thanks for your support, for my part this post can be closed.

Kind regards, Gema.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.