Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

VLAN and Gateway Using VDX6740

We currently have a SX800 where we have 2 vlans (VLAN2 and 101) each has an IP address assigned to the VLANs. We use the IP address as a default gateway and the SX does the ourting between the VLANs for us.

Can I do the same on our VDX6740? I assume I just assign an IP address to each of the VLANs and it will automatically route between the 2 VLANs?

Thanks

Brocade Moderator

Re: VLAN and Gateway Using VDX6740

Hello,

The same applies to the VDX, yes.

Regards,

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .
Occasional Contributor

We are building a VCS with 3 switches. Each has their own IP address.

Now if one of those units goes down and the clients are using the IP address for its gateway, how will this work when the unit fails?

Will the IP address be taken over by the other units?

Occasional Contributor

I found something called Fabric Virtual Gateway.

However I have setup VLAN 2 with a fabric virtual gateway IP and VLAN 101 with a fabric virtual gateway IP. I've put 1 port on the switch in VLAN 2 and one port into VLAN 101. I then plugged a device into each and configured them with an IP address in the subnet and the gateway as the IP I set but they can't see each other. They can ping both gateways but not each other (no firewalls on the devices).

Any ideas?

Occasional Contributor

Anyone? I'm really struggling to get this working.

Brocade Moderator

Hello,

There are a few ways to achieve L3 redundancy and Virtual Fabric Gateway is one of them indeed. There is also VRRP and VRRPE that would offer the same.

We'll focus on Virtual Fabric Gateway since you opted for it already.

Could you share the config of the fabric to take a closer look? Could also provide the output of the following commands?

1) show vcs

2) show version

3) show ip fabric-virtual-gateway detail

4) show ip fabric-virtual-gateway interface ve 2

5) show ip fabric-virtual-gateway interface ve 101.

Regards,

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I've since wiped both units and started clean and set up the FVG and it's now working. Both hosts can ping each other on different subnets using the setup FVGs as gateways.

My only question now is on the first VDX I can ping both hosts from the console. However if I try this from the second VDX it can't ping either host? Is there a reason for this?
Occasional Contributor

Both hosts are connected to the first VDX unit as the second is a fibre unit - if that makes any difference. The second unit can ping both FVG addresses, just not the hosts.
Brocade Moderator

Hello,

Glad you got this to work and hopefully you won't have more issues with it.

Regarding the 2nd VDX not pinging hosts, I believe this is to do with whether the switch is Master FVG or not. Could you check and confirm which switch is the Master, aka ARP responder, using "show ip fabric-virtual-gateway"?

Should Switch one , where hosts are connected to, be the Master, try disabling the Ve interface on it and see what happens when switch 2 takes over. You can achieve that by:

1. Enter the rbridge-id command in global configuration mode.
device(config)# rbridge-id 1
2. Enter the interface ve command.
device(config-rbridge-id-1)# interface ve 2
3. Enter the ip fabric-virtual-gateway command to enable the IPv4 Fabric-Virtual-Gateway
configuration.
device(config-rbridge-Ve-2)# ip fabric-virtual-gateway
4. Enter the disable command to disable the Fabric-Virtual-Gateway configuration for a
particular RBridge ID.
device(config-ip-fabric-virtual-gw)# disable

Regards,

Os

Occasional Contributor

Spot on! That worked exactly as you described and has put my mind at rest.

Many thanks for your help

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.