Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Mel
Contributor
Mel

VDX and VM Awareness

It is said that the VDX is  VM-aware. Can someone elaborate on that? I know that with AMPP, port  profiles can be migrated along with the VM, but how does the VDX switch  know of the VM? Does that mean the VDX is VEPA-enabled? How much  awareness and control over the VM environment does the VDX have? As much  as Cisco's VN-Link in Hardware?

Thanks

Mel
Contributor
Mel

Re: VDX and VM Awareness

Hello? Anyone?

Occasional Contributor
terry.rodecker

As I understand it,  it's not necessarily VM aware as in it talks to the ESX host and participates in the switching environment allowing you to create an "extended" (if you will) Distribute Virtual Switch.  In essence what it does is allow you to create an ACL with the MAC addresses of the VMs and then associate that ACL with a port profile.  Then,  regardless of what physical switch/port is handling the VM's traffic,  it will get the same QoS, restrictions, etc.

We're just getting our VDX's ramped up and ready for production so I've not tried this so don't take this as golden.  I have seen it done live in a demo though and it did work quite well.  There was an ACL in the port profile that limited a VM's access to another VM (at the MAC address level).  Regardless of what port on the switch or what switch handled the VM's traffic, that VM was still not able to get to the second VM.

Super Contributor
mschipp

Hi Mal,

Terry is correct.  A VDX AMPP is Port profile that contains VLAN, QoS ACL's and/or FCoE settings.

The process is done creating the profile, then binding the MAC address of the VM to the profile.  As the MAC table is accross all Fabric enabled VDX switches the profile can and will to applied as a VM move from host to host.

Brocade AMPP is under the Edge Virtual Bridging (EVB) standard (not VEPA).

Suggest to have a look at http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/technical_briefs/x86_Virt_Challenges_GA-TB-352.pdf  and http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/white_papers/Brocade_VMware_VCS-VDX_GA-SG-353.pdf

Thanks

Michael.

Mel
Contributor
Mel

Michael/Terry:

Thank you for your answers. I haven't had a chance to give them the attention they deserve, but I will tonight or tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I want to clear one thing up: EVB (Edge Virtual Bridging) is a general description for both VEPA and VN-Tag. So, VEPA is EVB.

I was going to word it myself, but I found this very well-worded paragraph on a good website, so I will just copy and paste because it simply says it all.

"Edge Virtual Bridging (EVB) is an IEEE standard that involves the  interaction between virtual switching environments in a hypervisor and  the first layer of the physical switching infrastructure. The EVB enhancements are following 2 different paths – 802.1qbg and 802.1qbh.  BG is also referred to as VEPA (Virtual Ethernet Port Aggregation); HP  has products that are pre-standard VEPA, IBM, Brocade, Juniper and  others are engaged and supporting BG.  BH is also called VN-Tag; Cisco’s  products support VN-Tag today and they brought their solution to the  standards bodies.  Notably absent from the IEEE discussion of virtual  switching is VMware.  The two proposals (BG and BH) are parallel  efforts, meaning that both can become standards and both are "optional"  for any product being IEEE compliant. The standards are likely at least a year from being done in the groups."

Super Contributor
mschipp

Hi Mel,

Do you have enough infomration on this one?

Thanks

Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.