Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

BT
Occasional Contributor

VDX / NOS ip helper-address

[ Edited ]

perhaps someone from Brocade could update on when support for "ip helper-address" or dhcp relay agent may be available in NOS? 

Does anyone have a successful work around they could share until this is released?

Right now ours is to configure a dhcp relay agent on a server in every vlan; not very ideal or scalable. When released, this feature will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Contributor

Re: VDX / NOS ip helper-address

Hi

iam not a official but i noticed that it should be in NOS 4.1 - Q1/2014 (maybe). But nothing official..

Super Contributor

DennisN wrote:

Hi

iam not a official but i noticed that it should be in NOS 4.1 - Q1/2014 (maybe). But nothing official..

It may be coming next month, but I should know more tomorrow.  There is an internal technical orientation for 4.1 and the release date will be provided. 

More to follow...

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Super Contributor

Ok, I should have known DennisN, you'd have the correct information from your little "brocade birdie".  Smiley Happy  So internal 'beta' is next month and General Availability is 1/31/14. 

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
BT
Occasional Contributor

Thank you both for the update.

an update to our work around...

The nic driver on the server supports multiple VLANs to be configured on an Ineterface.  When a new vlan is added to the interface, a new virtual/sub-interface is created for that VLAN.  Make sure the switchport the server is connected to is tagged for all VLANs in which DHCP services are needed.  All that is left to do is assign an IP address on the new Interface and configure a DHCP scope for that subnet.  Windows DHCP will issue IPs in the proper scope, based on which sub-interface the broadcast request was received on.

Not nearly as bad as having a server/dedicated NIC in every subnet, but I'm still very much looking forward to the native dhcp helper agent in NOS.

hope this helps.

Contributor

We added some small "otherVendor" Router into such VLANs.. not really nice but i am sure many Serverguys love DHCP - so they get rid of "networking" .. Man Tongue

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.