Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

da
Occasional Contributor
da

VDX 6730-32 IP Helper Address NOS 3.0.1

I have been looking for this for a while now. How do I set up an IP helper address on the VDX cluster ?

I know this has been asked before here but it was never answered. Does this mean that the VDX switches lack the somewhat paramount ability to relay DHCP requests to a foreign subnet ???

Contributor
danderson

Re: VDX 6730-32 IP Helper Address NOS 3.0.1

I'm in for a ride on this issue.  I am deploying a new VDX system and will need the same functionality and don't see how to set this up.

da
Occasional Contributor
da

I have spoken to a guy from Brocade who told me he was informed of it not being supported by NOS 3.0.1, but it may be in a schedule update this summer (again, he made it clear that it was not "committed" so... I guess that means it's a big maybe on IP helper address).

So, back to having a DHCP server with NIC's in each subnet

Contributor
danderson

I opened up a ticket with Brocade support regarding this issue.  I got the same response, that this is an unsupported feature.  I've got to ask what in the world they were thinking.  ???  I think that DHCP Relay (ip-helper or forwarding) has been around for over 12 years now (I found 2001 DHCP Relay RFC references).  I've used most major vendors switching technology over the past 16 years and I have not seen this feature as unsupported on managed switches that run in the $15k price range.

Contributor
danderson

A little birdie told me that this feature has been roadmapped for NOS version 5.

New Contributor
gregg_1

This is stupid. I like our 6720 quite a bit, but between this and a lack of interface range commands, there's absolutely no way I'd buy another VDX, and now I really wish we would have just bought 10G modules for our HPs.

Community Manager
Mike Eversole

I'm currently looking into this issue.  I want to discuss this with the Product Management team to see if I can get a bit more information on this topic and perhaps build a little priority (if possible).  Either way, I'll let you know what I find out, so please stay tuned as there will be more to follow...

Community Manager
Mike Eversole

I spoke the the NOS Product Manager moments ago regarding this issue.  He wanted me to relay that he is very much aware of this issue and is equally aware of the importance of getting this functionality in as soon as possible (so thank you everyone for raising this as it help the PM team put weight behind these and make informed decisions where roadmaps are concerned). 

So that being said, the good news is, its coming MUCH sooner then NOS 5 as originally shared by 'danderson' (thanks for that by the way).  At this time I'd prefer not to mention the version as I'm sure its going to change, but you can expect this no later then fall, but we are hoping for a summer release.

But now its time for a disclaimer statement to this information:  this information is subject to change as any forecasting/roadmaps can and will change.    But going forward, i will do my best to keep the community informed of any changes.  Hope that help put some of the concerns to rest.  Thanks for your time while we sorted this out and I'm sure I'll have more to add late on down the road... 

New Contributor
gregg_1

Thanks for the update. That's great to hear.

Community Manager
Mike Eversole

Thanks for the feedback Gregg.  If all goes according to plan, the Brocade Community members will be more proactively informed of things to come so stay tuned!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.