Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

VCS in the WAN

[ Edited ]

Looking at this page, one sees Brocade mention both VCS and regional service providers in the same page.  http://www.brocade.com/en/possibilities/solutions/service-provider-data-center-wan.html

Can VCS handle a regional network where there may be variable distances and node counts between A and Z? Some distances could be 1k miles (or well, I suppose more, but that's closer to plan).

Depending on capabilities required, I'm looking at 6720s and possibly 6740s.

Brocade Moderator

Re: VCS in the WAN

VCS was primarily designed for use within data centres.  That said it can also be implemented across data centres where they are close (less than 1km) and with few restrictions on topology.  Once you start to go above 1km then topologies are restricted much more depending on distance between nodes, number of nodes within a single fabric and whether you want/need to support lossless Ethernet.

Brocade Moderator

There are a number of technologies within the VDX products that can be used to data centre interconnect.  You could simply use a vLAG between VCS fabrics/data centres (assuming you have layer 2 between data centres).  Alternatively if you have layer 3 between data centres then VCS supports virtual fabric extension between DCs.  In this case you are extending the layer 2 domains over a tunnelled (we use VXLAN encapsulation) interconnect.  This can be in a full mesh if required.  Brocade products that can be used to build the IP underlay over which the VXLAN tunnels would be created include the NetIron MLXe and CER.  Although VXLAN is used to provide the tunnel, no external controller is required.

Occasional Contributor

Here's a bit more information I put onto the Packet Pushers forum:  http://packetpushers.net/forums/topic/small-regionalnational-network/

It could be hundreds of miles between nodes. I'm looking at maybe 5 - 10 nodes.

That is unfortunate. VCS seemed like the way to go until that 1 km restriction came into play.

I would be using wavelengths, so it would be pure layer 2 between switches.

Occasional Contributor

Stepping down from VCS defeats the purpose of using Brocade in the first place.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.