Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Super Contributor

VCS and TRILL - routing protocols - ASIC

Hi all,

My understaing is that TRILL (I know it is not fully baked) calls for the use of a modified IS-IS as the routing protcol.

I also understand that the VCS/VDX uses Brocade's FSPF protocol.

My first question is, is FSPF implemented in the ASIC?

My second question is, if FSPF is done at the ASIC level will the modified IS-IS be implemented in software on the VDX when the time comes? (roadmap stuff - might not get an answer)

Thanks

Michael.

Super Contributor

Re: VCS and TRILL - routing protocols - ASIC

bump - anybody?

Retired-Super Contributor

Michael,

You ask a great question.  The link state routing protocol (FSPF, IS-IS, etc.) is part of the control plane which in turn programs the ASIC forwarding table in hardware.  So, the algorithm for link state routing (FSPF, IS-IS, etc.) is part of the firmware (aka, NOS software).  Therefore, changing the link state routing protocol requires a "software" upgrade and would not require new ASIC (hardware).

The VDX ASIC was designed to handle TRILL frames in the data path since that part of the standard was baked.  We continue to wait for IETF to finalize the approval process for the layer 2 enhancements to IS-IS which are required before anyone can provide IS-IS link state routing support for a TRILL implementation.

I hope this helps.

Super Contributor

That was the answer I ws hoping for. Thanks Brook.

I have a customer deciding at the moment  to go Brocade, Cisco or Juniper, but it is too late to provide this info.  However we should find out from the customer this week which way they will go. One way or the other I will imform of the result.

P.S. The customer did not asked me this -though they would....

Contributor

Michael,

Which direction did your customer go on this?
Thank you!

Super Contributor

They are still desiding at the moment.  Should know in aout another 2 weeks.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.