Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

VCS Distributed Intelligence

Hi all,

Could you please help me clarify the following.

As I know, the distributed intelligence feature in VCS distributes the following configurations

on whole fabric.

1. port pofiles and thier MAC associations created in a rbridge

2. VM MAC addresses learned by a rbridge

Then what about VLANs. Are VLANs also created on whole fabric, when

we create them in a single rbridge? or do we have to create them in each rbbridge on

the fabric?

Regards

Jagath

Brocadian

Re: VCS Distributed Intelligence

Hi Jagath,

with the current version of NOS there are two ways to implement Port-profiles (often referred to as Automatic Migration of Port-profiles, AMPP):

1. Manual configuration/definition in VCS

2. Automatic import of VLAN membership in a Port Group configuration from a VMware vCenter virtual Standard Switch (vSS) or virtual Distributed Switch (vDS)

The detailed explanation is as follows:

1. When you manually create Port-profiles in VCS you must (with the current NOS release) create the profiles on all switches in the fabric where you will use Port-profiles -as well as any VLANs defined in the Port-profiles.

The easiest way to do this on multiple switches in your VCS ..or even across multiple VCSs is to use Brocade Network Advisor (BNA) to ensure uniform and 'single click' deployment across VDXs in one or more Ethernet fabrics.

(In coming releases you will be able to configure the VCS completely as one virtual switch across all nodes when you enable the optional mode: Virtual Chassis Management ...we can talk more about that when it's released).

2. When Port-profiles are imported directly from vCenter (this is done by registering vCenter in VCS) -and previously non-existent VLANs are defined as a membership in a Port Group configuration in a vSS or vDS this results in these VLANs to be automatically created across all nodes in the VCS.

I hope this helps answering your question

Thanks

Marcus

Occasional Contributor

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to know about the manual configuration of VCS.

So according to your explanation, we have to configure each switch(rbridge) for

port profiles, their MAC associations and also to create VLANs.

OK. Any guess for the release schedule of "Virtual Chassis Management"
function? When this function is supported, how the MIB is organized?

Only one MIB for whole VCS?, so that we can see it as an actual single switch. 

Is there any relation between this function and Virtual IP of VCS?

As I know, the virtual ip feature provides consistent login capability to the

principal switch of VCS. That is, even if the principal switch goes down,

we can log in to VCS without changing the IP address. But, the configuration

done after log in through virtual ip is valid only for the principal switch.

Is that correct?

One more thing, is AMPP supported in standalone mode of VDX?

Hope it should work in standalone mode too.

Thanks

Jagath

Brocadian

Hi Jagath,

Yes, when configuring the port-profiles manually you must apply this configuration –and any new VLANs defined- on each switch in the VCS where this port-profile is required. (AMPP is only supported in VCS mode.) (AMPP from vCenter is only supported in VCS mode)

FYI, with Brocade Network Advisor it is very easy to apply a port-profile across all switches in a VCS (or across multiple VCSs) with only a few clicks. The same can be done for VLAN configuration with the CLI script function.

Virtual Chassis Management (which is separate from the currently supported virtual IP feature) is scheduled for next year, and each switch will probably still have its own MIB.

When using the VCS virtual IP feature this provides you with a single IP address to connect to the VCS at any time, as you stated the principal RBridge in the VCS will service the virtual IP.

When logged in through the virtual IP the config privileges are not any different from logging in directly to the management IP of the principal switch itself, the VCS virtual IP is merely to provide a consistent access method, and with for example the show vcs command all RBridges in the fabric are listed including their management IPs.

Thanks

Marcus

Occasional Contributor

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the reply.

According to your explanation , AMPP is only supported in VCS mode. But as I know, port profiles are supported

(i.e. we can create, activate and associate pp with mac) in standalone mode too. So what there port profiles

are used for in standalone mode if AMPP is not supported.

OK. When Virtual Chassis Management is supported, there will be one MIB for whole VCS and also each switch will have

its own MIB. Is that correct?

Thanks

Jagath

Brocadian

Hi Jagath,

my mistake ..I meant to say that automatic port-profile creation based on vCenter integration is only supported in VCS mode.

(I corrected the reply above).

With Virtual Chassis Management it's still in the works -I would set the expectation that in the first release each switch will have it's own MIB and in a subsequent release a MIB for the VCS.

Thanks

Marcus

Occasional Contributor

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the reply.

I later found the following in vcs technical architecture document.

(http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/technical_briefs/vcs-technical-architecture-tb.pdf)

"VM-aware network automation is supported on all the Brocade VDX platforms and can be configured in both

VCS and standalone mode"

According to the above document, it seems vCenter integration can be done in both VCS and standalone modes.

Thanks

Jagath

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.