Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Visitor

Unable to ping to gateway (mgmt-vrf)

I have a VDX 6740, running NOS 5.0.0, I am trying to get firmware upgrade... I see in "Upgrade Guide":

You must configure the gateway and default route that is pointing to the management interface within the mgmt-vrf and address-family unicast context.

Here is my configuration on management interface:

=========================================

interface Management 1/0
no tcp burstrate
ip icmp echo-reply
no ip address dhcp
ip address 10.0.8.55/23
ipv6 icmpv6 echo-reply
no ipv6 address autoconfig
no ipv6 address dhcp
vrf forwarding mgmt-vrf

Config for the VRF

rbridge-id 1
 vrf mgmt-vrf
  address-family ipv4 unicast
   ip route 0.0.0.0/0 10.0.8.1

I can ping to the address that was assigned to the interface:

VDX6740# ping 10.0.8.55 vrf mgmt-vrf
Type Control-c to abort
PING 10.0.8.55 (10.0.8.55): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 10.0.8.55: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.169 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.8.55: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.124 ms

But i cannot ping to the Gateway address 10.0.8.1

This is the show interface management, it looks fine?

=====================================
VDX6740# show interface Management
interface Management 1/0
ip address "static 10.0.8.55/23"
ip gateway-address 10.0.8.1
ipv6 ipv6-address [ ]
ipv6 ipv6-gateways [ ]
line-speed configured Auto

So now I can't reach to my FTP server via gateway, any suggestion or troubleshoot tips?

Occasional Contributor

Re: Unable to ping to gateway (mgmt-vrf)

I am having this exact issue with a new set of 6740 switches. I have the management ports configured and connected to a dedicated management lan. I can connect via SSH to them via that lan, transiting my production lan and connect/login to the switches from my workstation.

I cannot however connect, ping, or tftp configuration from the switch to my workstation. I don't get it, there are correct routes and ip addresses assigned but the switch does not send traffic. Is this a bug int eh 5.0.1c code or just a misconfiguration?

Does Brocade have a working configuration of the manage port written up for 5.0.1 NOS online? I appear to have followed the configuration notes in the admin and L3 guides but frankly the examples suck and this does not work.

Miles

Contributor

Hi,

I am new to Brocade and trying to figure out how to configure 6740.  I am having the same exact issue that you are guys are having Were you able figure out the issue or how to configure so that I can ping, scp etc from the switch to the workstation ?  This is driving me nuts. I can only ping other other hosts if I do pring 192.168.2.10 vrf mgmt-vrf.

Any help here would be highly appreiciated?

Thanks,

lama

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe this is because you need to setup a default route on the rbridge. however when I try and do this I get an error "Error: This operation is not supported from a secondary node."

Here's what I used: "

Rack2-1(config-rbridge-id-1)# ip route 0.0.0.0/0 172.16.60.1

EDIT: Found a link to this document online: http://www1.brocade.com/downloads/documents/product_manuals/B_VDX/NOS_L3Guide_v501.pdf

Some good stuff in there about L3 routing

So I believe I'm getting this error because I'm consoled into the switch and I'm not making the changes from the management port. I'll try that next.

Contributor

This operation is not supported from a secondary node."

So I believe I'm getting this error because I'm consoled into the switch and I'm not making the changes from the management port. I'll try that next.

No, this is not the case. This error means that your fabric is in Logical Chassis mode, which means there is a principal (read master) switch and you have to run all comands from that switch.

Run 'show vcs' -- the one with * is your master switch.

Contributor

Here is the answer just incase if anyone is struggling to figure out.

Starting in version 5.0, enforced separation of the management and data plane was instituted. As a default ping will try to source from the default-vrf.Appending the vrf mgmt.-vrf is needed to source the pings in the management plane.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.