Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

Setup IP Access VDX 6740T

Hi,

We need to connect another switch to the Brocade Fabric; the problem is that this switch is part of a different subnet.

How can I enable routing on the Brocade so that this switch can connect to all device and switches connected to the Brocade?  See more detail below....

Brocade IP 128.100.1.x
Cisco Switch IP 128.100.1.x (currently connected and working fine with Brocade)
Servers/NTS/Storage connected to Brocade IP 128.100.1.x (currently connected and working fine with Brocade)

The switch we're trying to connect to the Brocade has an IP of 11.100.1.x  We want this switch (and it's connected devices on the same subnet) to be able to communicate with those on the 128.100.1.x network.  is this possible? 

Brocade Moderator

Re: Setup IP Access VDX 6740T

[ Edited ]

Hello,

VDX6740T Current IP 128.100.1.x will be configured under a VE interface in a specific VLAN.

The same needs to be done for the new subnet 11.100.1.x. Pick a VLAN, configure an interface VE for the VLAN under Rbridge sub configuration, then assign it a free IP address in the 11.100.1.x network. The port on the VDX6740 connecting the new switch will be an access port in the new VLAN created.

The routing between the 2 subnet can be done simply by either using static routes on both Cisco and the new switch pointing towards the IP addresses of the VDX 6740T ( if these are L3 switches), or a default Gateway on each switch (if they are L2 switches).

Hope this helps with your query!

Kind Regards,

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.  Your response confuses me a bit.  If the Brocade (layer 3) switches and the devices on the same subnet are connecting, why do I need to create a virtual interface for that subnet?  Will I have to do that on each port? 

Also, do you have any commands or documentation that provides exactly HOW to program the Brocades to accomplish this task?

Regards,

Octavia

Brocade Moderator

[ Edited ]

Hi Octavia,

You mentioned you wanted to connect a switch to the 6740T. If the port of the new switch is an L3 port with an IP address configured under it, then you can skip the interface ve ,aka virtual interface, on the 6740T

NOS Documentation can be found under https://my.brocade.com

I found the Admin Guide for NOS 4.1.1 which you might find useful

https://community.brocade.com/dtscp75322/attachments/dtscp75322/Certification/191/1/NOS_AdminGuide_v411(Part%20I).pdf

Thanks

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply, but I still haven't found any information to help.  I've opened a support ticket with Brocade.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.