Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Contributor

SFP+ modules and licensing for VDX

I would like to buy 4 pcs of VDX 6720-40 switches to build VCS fabric solution.

1) Licenses

a) To form VCS fabric for all 4 switches I have to order additional VCS license for each switch ? (total 4 licenses for 4 switches)

b) Do I also need buy 2 POD licenses for each switch to gain VCS ? NetworkOS_DocAddendum_v201.pdf says that this is not required (should be removed from earlier documentation version).

c) How I can order Trial (30 days) VCS license ?

2) SFP+ modules

Which SFP+ modules (SR) and Active DAC cables I should order with VDX'es ?

- 10G-SFPP-SR or XBR-000180

- 10G-SFPP-TWX-0101 or XBR-TWX-0101

3) Are VDX switches supports also DAC Twinax Passive cables ? Which I already have delivered with Emulex CNAs and working with Cisco Nexus 5000 switches.

4) Are VDX switches support digital monitoring for SFP+ modules like NetIron and FastIron switches ? (Temperature/TX Power/RX Power)

Super Contributor

Re: SFP+ modules and licensing for VDX

Hi Jarek6,

1) Licenses

a) To form VCS fabric for all 4 switches I have to order additional VCS license for each switch ? (total 4 licenses for 4 switches)

YES - this is correct for 3 or more switches

b) Do I also need buy 2 POD licenses for each switch to gain VCS ? NetworkOS_DocAddendum_v201.pdf says that this is not required (should be removed from earlier documentation version).

You do not need POD license to form a VCS fabric - POD are just Port On Demarned (in block of 10 for 40/50/60 switch)

c) How I can order Trial (30 days) VCS license ?

I do not know, however for testing you could use 2 boxes and form a VCS fabric as you do not need the VCS license for a 2 switch fabric.

2) SFP+ modules

Which SFP+ modules (SR) and Active DAC cables I should order with VDX'es ?

- 10G-SFPP-SR or XBR-000180

10G-SFPP-SR is the one you want.

- 10G-SFPP-TWX-0101 or XBR-TWX-0101

DAC cables can be any vender cables - you could reuse your existing TWINAX cables.

3) Are VDX switches supports also DAC Twinax Passive cables ? Which I already have delivered with Emulex CNAs and working with Cisco Nexus 5000 switches.

Yes and you can reuse them here

4) Are VDX switches support digital monitoring for SFP+ modules like NetIron and FastIron switches ? (Temperature/TX Power/RX Power)

I can not see and referance to DOM/OM/Optical monitoring - looks like this has not yet been implemented to me.

Thanks

Michael.

New Contributor

> 2) SFP+ modules

>

> Which SFP+ modules (SR) and Active DAC cables I should order with VDX'es ?

> - 10G-SFPP-SR or XBR-000180

>   10G-SFPP-SR is the one you want.

> - 10G-SFPP-TWX-0101 or XBR-TWX-0101

>    DAC cables can be any vender cables - you could reuse your existing TWINAX cables.

Unfortunately that is NOT true. I've just tried to use a Cisco 10GE Twinax 1m cable (SFP-H10GB-CU1M) to a VDX 6720 and it refused to accept it:

2011/10/05-13:18:22, , 931,, ERROR, swiEZTBRC3, Port 10 port fault. Please change the SFP or check cable
2011/10/05-13:18:22, , 932,, ERROR, swiEZTBRC3,  Incompatible SFP for interface TenGigabitEthernet 0/10 is detected.

> 3) Are VDX switches supports also DAC Twinax Passive cables ? Which I already have delivered with Emulex CNAs and working with Cisco Nexus 5000 switches.

>  Yes and you can reuse them here

As I wrote above, I would be very wary with such claims. Apparrantly DAC cables are not all the same...

Regards,

Chris

Network Engineer

SWITCH

New Contributor

> 3) Are VDX switches supports also DAC Twinax Passive cables ? Which I already have delivered with Emulex CNAs and working with Cisco Nexus 5000 switches.

I have just received confirmation from Brocade that the VDX switches do NOT support passive DAC twinax cables.

That is apparently why our exisiting 1m and 3m Cisco DAC twinax cables do not work with the VDX switches.

Regards,
Chris

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.