Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor
rajesh.k

Removing an old switch from a merged Facric.

Hi Gurus,

Recently I have merged a Mcdata Fabrics & Brocade Fabrics as a part of storage migration. Merging was successful.

Brocade300(new) was merged in to an existing McData DS4700.

The New storage is connected to Brocade300 switches.

So I wanted to allocate space from this storage to the hosts connected in McData DS4700.

Merging was successful as I followed all procedure correct and I have done the new zoning(through EFCM) & space allocation.

Now I want to remove the old switch DS4700 from the fabrics. I will do the activity only in one fabric at a time.

Please let us know how can I achieve this????

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh

Valued Contributor
dion.v.d.c

Re: Removing an old switch from a merged Facric.

Adjust zoning if you're using d,p based zoning

Move all initiators/ targets from the ds4700 to the 300

Remove ISL

Decom ds4700

Update cmdb

Done i guess.

Occasional Contributor
rajesh.k

H Dion,

Thanks for the info.

I used WWN based zoning since I was not allowing to create alias. I was done it through EFCM where McData Switch is configured.

Brocade300 is configured in DCFM. While checking in DCFM Zoning DB I can see the new zone only  in active zone configuration not in ZoneDB.

I just wanted to know whether Zone DB will have any issues after removing the Mcdata Switch from where I have done the zoning?

Can I create new alias for the WWNs & reconfigure the zone online after removing Mcdata Switch ??

Thanks

Rajesh.

Super Contributor
SAN-AB

can you post in which Ineropt Mode you have configured the Brocade switch?

You should considre to switch back the Borcade 300 into native mode after removing the McData switch.

Andreas

Occasional Contributor
rajesh.k

Hi Andreas,

I have done the merging in Mcdata Open Fabric mode.

Since I have done the zoning from McData switch, is there any issue come while removing Mcdata Switch????

Thanks

Rajesh

Frequent Contributor
neverdie

From my experience doing similar decomissionings you can do the following on the brocade switch to be on the safe side:

1. cfgshow (backup your zoning configuration to your laptop)

2. cfgsave (Important in order to make sure that your defined zoning configuration is saved to flash and will persist a reboot of the switch)

3. disconnect ISLs

4. alicreate (Just in case that your aliases were not propagated to the brocade switch you can create them manually)

Community Manager
Brook Reams

This question is more appropriate for the Data Center SAN forum.

http://community.brocade.com/community/forums/products_and_solutions/data_center_products

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.