Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

New Contributor

Problem with VDX 6740T-1G with Alcatel Lucent WAN-Bridge

Hello,

i have a problem with the VDX 6740T-1G Switch connect with an Alcatel Lucent  WAN-Bridge in auto negotiation mode.

The VDX switch is not able to communicate with the bridge with flow control. Connected directly to a sophos router the bridge works without any problems, but connect to the VDX it reachs only 75 percent of the expected speed (50MBit).

When trying to set the speed to 1000-auto, there appears a message "error: Speed 1G-Auto is not supported on this platform".

Does anyone have an idea to fix this issue?

(qos flowcontrol tx on/off rx on/off) already checked without success.

Brocade Moderator

Re: Problem with VDX 6740T-1G with Alcatel Lucent WAN-Bridge

How is the interface Is the Alcatel Luvent bridge Ethernet interface configured?

Generally best advice is have both devices configured to auto negotiate speed and duplex.

Once connected on the VDX run show interface GigabitEthernet <interface> and run equivalent command on Alcatel to see what speed the interfaces are actually connecting at.

Thanks

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
New Contributor

Hi Mick,

the Alcatel Lucent bridges have been installed by our WAN provider German Telekom. We don't have access on their configuration, but i have spoken with the technicans from our provider.

They told me that the bridges at both ends of the line are configured with auto negotiation and flow control. One bridge is connected to an ICX Switch which works great with flow control and an 1G link. The VDX Switch is not able to build up an link with flow control to the bridge.

Sending data from the ICX to the VDX is possible with 5,3 MByte, sending data from the VDX to the ICX works only with 3,7-3,9 MByte, reconnecting the link from the VDX to our Sophos shows the full capacity of 5,3 MByte on the line.

Are there known issues with the firmware 5.0.1d of the VDX switches?

Regards, Oliver

Brocade Moderator

Hi Oliver,

Have you verified that  using show interface GigabitEthernet <interface> on the VDX that the port has come up at the correct speed

Also you mention flow control if the data rate is 5.3MB per second which is roughly 42Mbit/s why is flow control necessary is there some potential bottleneck upstream which requires pause frames?

Thanks

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.