Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Contributor

Port status is shown as "No_Sync" on a brocade 8000 FC port.

I have attached a NETAPP JBOD to one of the FC port on the switch. But i see that the port status is shown as "No_Sync" and the port type is displayed as "U-port" even though i selected the allowed port types to be F and L ports. I tried changing the port speed to 2G/4G/Auto but still its the issue is seen. Is there anything else to be done on the switch??.

Thanks,

Somayajulu

Super Contributor

Re: Port status is shown as "No_Sync" on a brocade 8000 FC port.

Hi,

You can try resetting the adaptor with the fcadmin command on the Netapp filer.

fcadmin reset_adapter adapter_slot_number

I think you might have already disabled/enabled the switch port. Check if you have connected the cable right as well.

Copy the o/p of the following in a txt file and I'll see if I can find something.

portcfgshow <port number>

switchshow

Frequent Contributor

Also `portshow <port#>`, `portstatsshow <port#>` and `sfpshow <port#>` should provide some useful information, at best take several sets with a delta of 10min, so you can see which counters are growing.

NetApp JBOD?? Didn't know they made those as well

Super Contributor

Please Note, CEE-Only Base Model switch of Brocade 8000 don't have FC capability.

Check if a appropiate License is Installed.

Contributor

Hi,

I already tried the switch port enable/disable but no luck. I am attaching the the output of the commands in the text file. Please find the attachment.

Thanks,

Somayajulu

Frequent Contributor

that output doesn't tell much, the portcfgshow looks ok though.

As suggested by the previous poster: do you actually have the correct licenses? If so, get the output of the commands I suggested and you may also want to run a `fcp show adapter -v` from the NetApp system.

Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply . I cannot login to the netapp JBOD as there is no controller for it. And there is no management/serial port. I am using netapp DS14 where in you connect the netapp port directly to the FC slot on the switch and it has to work. It was working when i using on the brocade FC switch. But on brocade 8000 i am facing this issue.

A valid license is present. I initially thought there might be either a license or bad switch port issue so i connected a SCST FC target to the brocade switch and it worked perfectly. I am attaching the output of the commands. Please find the attachment.

Thanks,

Somayajulu

Frequent Contributor

Sounds a lot like bad SFP or cable, did you take the sfpShow output with the DS14 shelf attached?

Alarm                  Warn
                                      low        high       low         high
Temperature: 35      Centigrade     -15         90         -10         85
Current:     0.002   mAmps          2.000       8.500      2.000       8.500
Voltage:     3302.8  mVolts         2800.0      3800.0     2970.0      3630.0
RX Power:    -5.5    dBm (282.3 uW) 0.0    uW   6550.0 uW  49.0   uW   1100.0 uW
TX Power:    -40.0   dBm (0.1   uW) 50.0   uW   800.0  uW  100.0  uW   700.0  uW    <<<<

Transmit power is close to nothing.

On this port you're getting loads of er_enc_out, er_bad_os and invalid word. Did you try good known working SFP and cable? Did you swap SFP both on the shelf module (ESH?) and the switchport or try a different switchport?

If this is an ESH module in the shelf (so not ESH2 or ESH4) you need to make sure you've got the following:

1) speed switch set to 2Gbps (if it isn't yet, you'll have to power cycle the shelf for the new setting to take effect).

2) all disks in the shelf need to be able to operate at 2Gbps.

Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, even after doing those two steps the port status remains as "No_Sync". So to verify the JBOD's working status, I connected the same target to a native brocade FC switch and it works, The one difference i came across is that the BROCADE 8000 shows the port type as U-type even though I configured it to "L" port where as the native BROCADE FC switch works perfectly fine. Is this a bug with the switch? or I am missing some config somewhere?

Thanks,

Somayajulu

Frequent Contributor

Does the other switch also have an 8Gbps SFP+ on the port you tested? It looks like speed negotiation issue, 8Gbps SFP+ are not backwards compatible with 1GFC (only 4 and 2), so try a 4Gbps SFP, those can do 1, 2 or 4 Gbps.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.