Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

New Contributor

Passive Twinax in older 6720-24?

Hi,

This is my first post, and our first time using Brocade network equipment. We are in the process of upgrading our server infrastructure and implementing VMWare's VSAN, and want to use a pair of VDX-6720-24 switches. Being top of rack, and only seeing 8 ports used on each, the sales guy we are buying the switches from suggested the 10G-SFPP-TWX-0301 twinax cables to interconnect the switches with each other and to the servers. I remember reading on here that the VSX line doesn't support passive twinax, so should I be asking for the XBR-TWX-0301 to create 10G connections instead?

Initially these switches will be only for VSAN traffic and VMotion traffic, and will not connect to our Cisco infrastruction except for the copper management port.

Yes, I know that they are older switches, but I have to worry about the budget, and the transfer rating of 358mpps is close to the Cisco Nexus 3524, which is what our vendor was pushing us towards, but for 1/10 the price.

Is there any other things I should be aware of before implementing these as storage network switches?

Thanks in advance.

Brad

Brocadian

Re: Passive Twinax in older 6720-24?

Brad,

You're right. VDX only supports active twinax cables like 10G-SFPP-TWX-0101, 10G-SFPP-TWX-0301, and 10G-SFPP-TWX-0501. It works great for connecting the VDX switches together in ISL, but extra caution should be taken for server connectivity. You need to make sure your server adapter is compatible with active twinax. I think XBR-TWX-0301 is same as 10G-SFPP-TWX-0101, but it is from our Fibre channel SAN SKU. 

New Contributor

Sharan,

Thank you for your response. The server adapter that we are looking to use the DAC cables with are Intel x520 dual interface cards used by Dell in their PowerEdge R730s.
Is there any place I can verify the compatibility before we purchase? I've googled the x520 combined with Brocade DAC but there's nothing relevant out there.
Brocadian

Brad,

Last time when i checked the same information, I couldn't find if that adapter works with active twinax or not. Please ask your server adapter sales team.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.