Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Interconnecting VDX with ICX (possible loop)?

Hello,

Two VDXs (in fabric) with two ICXs iterconnected over LAGs (schema is attached).  R/STP is turned off everywhere.

Am I right in understanding that interconnecting VDXB with ICXB over orange line will create a loop? What is going to happen with the orange LAG then? Will it be shut down as long as the LAG between ICXA and ICXB is up?

Thank you.

Brocade Moderator

Re: Interconnecting VDX with ICX (possible loop)?

Hi,

Assuming that the same VLAN(s) are configured on all of the interfaces then the diagram you have included would indeed result in a layer 2 loop.

It is most likely that all LAGs will be formed OK and that loop will be created without any loop prevention mechanism.

So a loop prevention mechanism (STP, RTSP etc.) would be required to ensure that a loop free topology was formed

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
Occasional Contributor

Re: Interconnecting VDX with ICX (possible loop)?

Assuming VDXa and VDXb are in the same core location, I would recomend you remove the LAG between ICXa and ICXb and change the LAG from the ICX to VDX switches to be LACP MLAGs (multi-chassis) between both VDX switches.

Thats what we do in our datacenter and allows the network to survive a core VDX switch failure or software upgrade. I have attached an example from my docs.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.