Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

ISL between VDX6740 and Brocade 300

Hi, 

Is it possible to form ISL using a FC port on VDX with Brocade 300? Is FC router required as documented in NOS Admin guide version 5.x

The following Network OS Fibre Channel port types are supported:
• E_Port: Can be used to connect only to an EX_Port on a FC SAN with Fibre Channel Routing
configured.

FC ports can connect to a FC switch in a Fabric OS network through two methods:
• Using an Inter-Switch Link (ISL) connection from an FC E_port on a VDX 6740 switch to a FC
router's EX_Port; this in turn connects to the FC switch in the Fabric OS network. The VDX FC ports
are configured as E_Ports for this connection. Refer to Connecting to an FC Fabric through an FC
Router on page 160.
• Using a direct connection from an FC port on a VDX 6740 switch's to a F_Port on a FC router in a
Fabric OS network. The VDX FC ports are configured as N_Ports through the Access Gateway
feature. Refer to Using Access Gateway on page 167.

External Moderator

Re: ISL between VDX6740 and Brocade 300

New Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

Did you manage to get a final confirmation if this is possible? The links provided in the anwer no longer work (404), and I'm having the same question: Can i connect a VDX6740 directly to a SAN switvch (without passing through a SAN router)

thanks in advance

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

Try the following link

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/nos-601a-adminguide/GUID-9B828CE7-5FC0-4305-B960-378C28471C4B.html

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
New Contributor

Thanks Mick,

I've laready read the admin guide, however it does not calrifies if it is possible to connect a VDX directly to a SAN switch, it only mentions connection through and FC router.

JJ

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

According to manual it is possible to connect a VDX 6740 directly to a fiber channel switch,  Although once looking closer this only seems possible through an FC router

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/nos-601a-adminguide/GUID-C9B83B13-277F-42C2-A590-D313E04EC027.html

Extract:

Fibre Channel (FC) ports provide the ability to connect a Brocade VCS Fabric cluster to a Fibre Channel switch in a Fabric OS network.

FC ports can connect to a FC switch in a Fabric OS network through two methods:

• Using an Inter-Switch Link (ISL) connection from an FC E_port on a Flexport-capable switch to a FC router's EX_Port; this in turn connects to the FC switch in the Fabric OS network. The VDX FC ports are configured as E_Ports for this connection. Refer to Connecting to FC Fabric through FC Router.
  • Using a direct connection from an FC port on a Flexport-capable switch to an F_Port on a FC router in a Fabric OS network. The VDX FC ports are configured as N_Ports through the Access Gateway feature. Refer to Using Access Gateway.

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.