Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Contributor

How to Monitor FCoE port traffic on BROCADE 8000?

Is there a way to monitor FCoE port traffic on brocade 8000? Like say port mirroring but I see the port mirroring is not applicable to FCoE interfaces. I wanted to take a wireshark trace to see whats happening on a particular FCoE port but not finding any ways to do the same.  A reply would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Somayajulu

Contributor

Re: How to Monitor FCoE port traffic on BROCADE 8000?

The only way I've been able to capture and view FIP/FCoE frames is to use an xgig analyzer.

As far as I know, wireshark isn't capable of capturing FIP or FCoE frames.  I believe this is due to the fact that the CNAs handle the FIP and FCoE ethertypes differently and these frame types are never visible to the network stack and wireshark is consequently unable to capture them.  With this in mind, even if you were able to span/mirror an FCoE port on the 8000, the FCoE frames would still need to be captured by something and wireshark wouldn't be able to do this for the reason I just mentioned.

Erik

Frequent Contributor

Hi.

As far as I know there is no port mirroring on BR8000.

Do you have a fibre tap to insert inline of the fiber uplink?!

Yes, xgig analyzer is able to capture FCoE and FIP.

Have not rtied this with Wireshark yet.

Cheers,

Karl

External Moderator

--->>>As far as I know there is no port mirroring on BR8000.

The Brocade 8000 Fibre Channel ports support direct connections to Fibre Channel storage.

The eight Fibre Channel ports on the switch support

FL_Port, F_Port, M_Port (Mirror Port), and E_Port.

Self-discovery is based on switch type (U_Port). Manual port type control is available.

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

Hi Eric,

I am wondering that Wireshark should not be able to capture FCoE?

It is based on a convered Ethernet. So I decide to google and found following link

http://wiki.wireshark.org/FCoE

I assume that you can add some packages that Wireshark can decode the frames. So the usage of an M_Port on the 8000 should work with wireshark.

Happy sniffing ;-)

If someone tests this please post the outcome of the test and if it was helpful.

Andreas

Contributor

Hi Andreas, there are a couple of different problems with what you are saying.

1) For the CNA implementations I have worked with (Emulex, QLogic, Brocade and Intel) FCoE and FIP frames are intercepted by the CNA firmware and are not visible to the network driver.  As a result, these frames cannot be captured and viewed on just any host that is using FCoE regardless of the packages installed on the host (maybe there is a special version of firmware that would allow for this type of behavior, but I don’t know of one).  One example of this type of problem (also found via Google search) can be seen here "http://ask.wireshark.org/questions/1752/how-do-you-capture-fcoe-frames".  FWIW, I was speaking with a colleague and he indicated that Broadcom may handle this situation differently but I’ve never tried it.

2) The FC ports referenced by TechHelp24 may have an M_Port feature, but in any case, they would not transmit FCoE encapsulated frames.  The FCoE Header would be stripped before being sent to the FC ASIC inside of the switch.

Contributor

Karl,

Thanks for the reply, I don't have an xgig analyzer but I am a little surprised that brocade has not thought of implementing it on the the ethernet ports. It would've made troubleshooting easier if in case some issue crops up.

Andreas,

As pointed out by smith_erik in the link, this is exactly what I want to do.

"I would assume that you are running this capture on the host and there  is some TOE or something that could be causing issues.  I'm not that  familiar with integrating FCoE with the host. What I'd try to do is  capture it on an independent machine using a span or monitor port on the  Ethernet Switch.  That should allow you to avoid any issues with  acceleration hardware on the NIC."  I do it all the time for cisco nexus switches.

Tech Help,

I agree with smith on this. If monitor ports are present only for FC ports, the FIP packets cannot be seen at all and there is no way one can capture a wireshark trace on FC adapters as it lists only ethernet adapters for capturing the trace. Hoping brocade has some other way to do this. If not, just have to wait for them to provide this feature in future FOS releases.

Thanks,

Somayajulu

External Moderator

Somayaiulu,

--->>>I agree with smith on this. If monitor ports are present only for FC ports,.......

I post just "supportet" Port Type on Brocade 8000 in answer to KarlM, he wrote:

--->>>As far as I know there is no port mirroring on BR8000.

The answer is, M_Port is Supported !!!

---->>>....the FIP packets cannot be seen at all and there is no way one can......

if any such Port can be capture with wireshark, is another story.

I've in order TWO 8000 for Customer, ask me in a couple of week

At the moment i cannot confirm or denied if this work or not.

Antonio

TechHelp24
Contributor

Antonio,

Thanks .  Will wait for your inputs on the same. Hoping for the best

Somayajulu

External Moderator

......back to you Native Question:

--->>>How to Monitor FCoE port traffic on BROCADE 8000?

DCFM and BNA is able to Monitoring FCoE Port Traffic, w/o restriction.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.