Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Firmware for Dell M8428-k chassis switch ?

Can anyone advise where the latest firmware for the Dell M8428-k Converged chassis switch can be obtained from ?

A search on Dell's site throws up some release notes for version Fabric OS v6.4.3_dcb4 but I've been unable to find the corresponding firmware download on either the Brocade or Dell sites.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_networking/esuprt_net_blade_intercnts/dell-m8428-k_release%20notes4_en-us.pdf

A similar post suggests that firmware is available on the IBM site, and I have found some software there, but not the latest...

Cheers,

Rob

External Moderator

Re: Firmware for Dell M8428-k chassis switch ?

with FOS 6.4.3_dcb4, you are on latest release.

no other release is available for this switch.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

BTW.

you can get the required FOS ONLY trough DELL Specific Lasso Firmware Update, with a valid DELL TAG number.

Lasso must be installed and configured on the Blade Center where the M8428 is installed.

Additional, assume you should find IBM Image, I would suggest to don't upgrade the Switch with OEM FOS, because for this Blade the FOS is OEM Specific a propietary and you get a risk that the Management Module on Blade Center cannot recognize the Switch.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thanks for the pointer to the Lasso software - I'd not come across that before.

I've got that installed now and whilst I can see that it's interrogating the switches and chassis, I can't see anywhere obvious where it downloads firmware.

Would that only be available for devices with a valid Dell warranty/support contract ?

Thanks,
Rob

External Moderator

Rob,

->Would that only be available for devices with a valid Dell warranty/support contract ?

I think yes, because for the most DELL plattfoms download from FW is only available with active maintenance contract.

what FOS Release is installed in the blade ?

are you at 6.3 or 6.4.x ?

TechHelp24
New Contributor

I'm currently on v6.3.1_dcb

External Moderator

Rob,

Is the blade under maintenance ? And if No, did you try with DELL Support ?

otherwise send me all the Info Serial and TAG Number by email - see my profile -  I'll try for you by DELL.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.