Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

New Contributor

FCoE initiator to FC target / Connect VCS to FC Fabric

Hi there,

this is my first post and I hope you can help me with the following problem.

The subject already describes what I want do to, I wanna run traffic from a FCoE initiator connected to a VCS fabric (4x6730) to a FC target which is connected to a 6510 Broacde FC switch. What is missing from my point of view is the working connection between the VCS FC ports and the the FC switch fabric.

The VDX reports the following error on the interconnected port:

2012/05/08-12:18:22, , 16565,, WARNING, c221-2730-cb1, port 49, ESC NOS incompatible.

Used FW versions:

NOS 2.1.1

FOS 7.0.1a

I have already learned that the "Integrated Routing" feature on the Brocade 6510 FC switch is needed for this scenario and I have enabled the corresponding license.

I played around with the routing settings a bit but I keep getting the same error.

My question is if anyone knows a guide,whitepaper or how-to document which describes the steps which are necessary to interconnect a VCS fabric with a traditional FC fabric.

If there is no such document available I would appreciate if anyone could post some hints how to proceed with my problem. Of course I can also post any configuration details you might need.

Thanks in advance!

External Moderator

Re: FCoE initiator to FC target / Connect VCS to FC Fabric

Bastian,

--->>> The VDX reports the following error on the interconnected port:

2012/05/08-12:18:22, , 16565,, WARNING, c221-2730-cb1, port 49, ESC NOS incompatible.

FABR-1001

Message <timestamp>, , <sequence-number>,, WARNING, <system-name>, port <port
number>, <segmentation reason>.

Probable Cause Indicates that the specified switch port is isolated because of a segmentation resulting from
mismatched configuration parameters.

Recommended Action

Based on the segmentation reason displayed within the message, look for a possible mismatch of
relevant configuration parameters in the switches at both ends of the link.
Run the configure command to modify the appropriate switch parameters on both the local and
remote switch.

Severity WARNING

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thanks for the answer I finally got the solution - I needed an EX-port between on the FC side.

The problem was that this port setting was greyed out as long as the Virtual Fabric feature on the FC switch was used.

After disabling VF it was possible to chose EX-port with interop mode NOS fabric.

I additionally checked the release notes of the FOS 7.0.1a again and the text-file states that the integrated routing license is not needed:

Integrated Routing license is not required to share devices between VDX/VCS Ethernet fabric and FC SAN fabric.

But with the next sentence it speaks of new FCR EX-port mode:

A new FCR EX_port mode 5 is used to connect VCS/VDX6730 to FCR

This two statements together sound very strange to me.

Could someone comment on the procedure to interconnect a VCS and FC fabric without this license?

Thank you!

Retired-Super Contributor

Good Afternoon Bastian,

The Fibre Channel router acting as the SAN Backbone fabric uses an EX_Port. In your case, that's a port on the 6510 FC Switch. An EX_Port can understand different versions of switch firmware running on the E_Port of the switch the EX_Port is connected to. The diagram below shows what I'm talking about.

Routing.JPG

Each mode is compatible with a different operating system of the switch running the E_Port.

In your configuration, the edge fabric is a VCS Fabric running on VDX switches with the NOS Operating System. To identify that operating system of the E_Port on the VDX switch to the EX_Port on the 6510, you need to have the EX_Port use "mode 5", making it compatible with NOS E_Ports.

No routing license is required on the 6510 when an EX_Port is configured for mode 5. A routing license maybe required if the EX_Port is configured in other modes.

I hope this helps ...

Best.

Brook Reams

New Contributor

Hi Brook,

thanks for the very helpful information.

But let me ask one last question, why did I have to disable VF in order to be able to select EX_Port option?

Thanks again!

Greetings,

Bastian

Hi Bastian,

If you enable the Virtual Fabric feature, then you can create multiple logical swtiches within the physical 6510. However, only one of those logical switches, a Base switch, can support routing and EX_Ports. I suspect you tried to create an EX_Port in the default switch, which is not allowed.

When VF is enabled, there is always a default switch and it contains all physial ports.You have to create another logical switch, a Base logical switch, if you want to use routing and allocate some physical ports to it from the default switch. Only the ports in the Base switch are in the Backbone fabric. All the other ports in the default switch are in a separate SAN (called an edge fabric). The VF feature allows finer grained use of physical ports in a switch for routing, without all ports in the switch being dedicated to the Backbone fabric.

When you turned off the Virtual Fabric feature, then you were able to create an EX_Port on any port since the switch no longer can be partitioned into logical switches. However, all ports in the switch belong to only one SAN fabric, the Backbone Fabric.

I hope this helps.

New Contributor

This helps a lot for my understanding.

Thanks a lot!

Contributor

Hello Brook,

In the case of making EX_port at 6510, the entire existing SAN fabric will be a backbone router fabric.

Are this topology supported? I mean, this edge to backbone routing (not an edge to edge routing) only require LSAN zoning in VCS fabric..

Azakiyy,

Yes, it is supported.  That said, there are scalabilty limits for the backbone and edge fabrics for device connectivity (servers and storage ports).  Those limits are published in the FOS release notes. If I recall correctly, the total number of devices in a backbone fabric are less than those in an edge fabric.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.