Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

EN4023 Problem With Port-Channel

Hey ,

I have an issue with EN4023 BladeSystem Switch .

Noob question , I'm Trying to connect a Lenovo BladeSystem to our Main Switch Site .

on the BladeSystem we got 2 EN4023 Brocade Switchs.

Switch 1: S-SW-LEnc02B

Switch 2: S-SW-LEnc02A

Main Switch : BackBone

The Connection is by 40G LACP from BackBone to each Brocade Switch . ( i hope the pic will help to understand this )

So, On the BackBone i got 2x40G from each switch mode LACP 20,21  .

on the Brocade Switch i got Port-Channel  named 2 for each switch.

The problem is when im trying to up the port-channel , the 4 ports on the switchs from both side are fall .

when the port-channel is off , im most say its weird but all 4 of ports are up and connected , and the LACP on Backbone side is up also .

an

http://imgur.com/a/IbWQD

Brocade Moderator

Re: EN4023 Problem With Port-Channel

Hi,

I am slightly confused by the EN4023 configurations shown in diagram as both are labelled S-SW-LEnc02B, I do not see one for S-SW-LEnc02A

Are these switches in a VCS fabric? can you get a show vcs

I think you may have the port-channel numbering wrong but need to see the configuration from all switches

Thanks

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
New Contributor

Hey Mick ,

fix the diagram http://imgur.com/a/kc1zx

There is 2 Switchs on the BladeSystem , Right is B left is A .

show vcs:

S-SW-LEnc02B# show vcs
Config Mode    : Local-Only
VCS Mode       : Fabric Cluster
VCS ID         : 1
Total Number of Nodes           : 1
Rbridge-Id       WWN                            Management IP   VCS Status                            Fabric Status        HostName
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------                     ------------------------------
1               >10:00:50:EB:1A:EE:28:38*       172.29.177.30   Online                                Online               S-SW-LEnc02B
S-SW-LEnc02B#

S-SW-LEnc02A# show vcs
Config Mode    : Local-Only
VCS Mode       : Fabric Cluster
VCS ID         : 1
Total Number of Nodes           : 1
Rbridge-Id       WWN                            Management IP   VCS Status                        Fabric Status        HostName
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------                 ------------------------------
1               >10:00:50:EB:1A:FB:78:6D*       172.29.177.29   Online                            Online               S-SW-LEnc02A
S-SW-LEnc02A#

Thanks !

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

So looking at diagram and output I can see that both EN4023 are not running as a VCS Fabric and are acting as standalone switches, everything appears to be OK in your configuration as far as I can tell, dynamic LAG configuration looks correct at both ends of the links.

I would suggest giving the port-channels on S-SW-LEnc02B and S-SW-LEnc02A unique numbering to match numbering on HP switch side i.e. 21 on S-SW-LEnc02B and 22 on S-SW-LEnc02A in case at some point you intend to create a VCS fabric between these switches.

I am confused by your original statement that LACP is up on backbone when the LAG is disabled on the EN4023 side, as LACP requires neighbour LACP packets to be up, this behaviour definately does not seem correct.

Would be good to get the following commands from EN4023 whilst LAG is enabled.

show port-channel detail

show port-channel

debug lacp all (you may need to enable terminal monitor to see output)

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
New Contributor

Hey,

tryd to make the same unique numbering , didnt work .

i must say , we have the same bladesystem with the same EN4023 switch . on this one we manage the ports LACP by 10G not 40 .

and its working very good .same configuration . no matching numbring ..

there is a change that the EN4023 switchs limitd somhow by 40G LACP ?

S-SW-LEnc02B# show port-channel
 LACP Aggregator: Po 21
 Aggregator type: Standard
 Member ports:
   Fo 1/0/57
   Fo 1/0/58

S-SW-LEnc02B# show port-channel detail                                                       LACP Aggregator: Po 21
 Ignore-split is enabled
  Actor System ID - 0x8000,01-e0-52-00-00-01
  Admin Key: 0021 - Oper Key 0021
  Receive link count: 0 - Transmit link count: 0
  Individual: 0 - Ready: 0
  Partner System ID - 0x0000,00-00-00-00-00-00
  Partner Oper Key 0000
 Member ports on rbridge-id 1:
   Link: Fo 1/0/57 (0x10C0720C0) sync: 0
   Link: Fo 1/0/58 (0x10C0740C0) sync: 0

S-SW-LEnc02A# show port-channel
 LACP Aggregator: Po 22
 Member ports:
   Fo 1/0/57
   Fo 1/0/58

S-SW-LEnc02A# show port-channel detail
 LACP Aggregator: Po 22
 Ignore-split is enabled
  Actor System ID - 0x8000,01-e0-52-00-00-01
  Admin Key: 0022 - Oper Key 0022
  Receive link count: 0 - Transmit link count: 0
  Individual: 0 - Ready: 0
  Partner System ID - 0x0000,00-00-00-00-00-00
  Partner Oper Key 0000
 Member ports on rbridge-id 1:
   Link: Fo 1/0/57 (0x10C0720C0) sync: 0
   Link: Fo 1/0/58 (0x10C0740C0) sync: 0

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

It is possible that there is a difference in the function of 40G ports on this product versus the 10G ports.  

These Lenovo/IBM products are not supported directly by Brocade so I am not as familiar with these as the Brocade badged VDX systems. Have you been in touch with Lenovo/IBM regarding this problem?  It may be that they will be able to help further

As far as I can tell your configuration looks OK and should work, and the fact that you say same configuration (on 10G ports) works on another pair of switches

I also recall that it may have been the case that the 40G ports on the EN4023 had to be enabled with a licence before they are active I am not sure if this is still true, I assume you have this licence?

Regards

Mick

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hey ,

Yes we have a open case on IBM and other sources . im just trying to look for answer faster then

it may be a licence problem/privleg ill look for that.

we can clouse this topic

thanks Mick !

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.