Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

Connect Cisco Nexus 5020 and Brocade DCX configured in Brocade Native mode

Hi,

I need to check if there is possibility to interconnect Cisco NEXUS 5020 switch using FC ports with Brocade DCX Backbone SAN swtich (FOS v6.3.0c)?

Currently, Brocade DCX Backbone SAN switches are inteconnected with our old SAN switches - McData ED-140M (EMC OEM) switches, which are connected with ISL links and operate in Brocade Native mode.

All Storage, Tape Libraries and similar equipment are connected to eihter DCX or ED-140M Switches.

On other hand, our network guys plans to implement Cisco NEXUS topology with 2000 / 5020 / 7000 switches, utilizing both 10GbE and FCoE.

We need to check possibility CNA / FCoE cards on the server side to connect on exisitng SAN enviroment through Cisco NEXUS 2000 and 5020 switches.

As I have uderstand from Cisco compatibility matrices, NEXUS 5020 must operate in NPV mode. Can Brocade be interconnected with McData in Brocade Native mode and in the same time connected to Cisco in NPV mode?

Are there any other possibilty for connecting NEXUS 5020 to Brocade / McData switches?

Thanks,

Danail Popovski

Macedonia

Super Contributor

Re: Connect Cisco Nexus 5020 and Brocade DCX configured in Brocade Native mode

--->>> I need to check if there is possibility to interconnect Cisco NEXUS 5020 switch using FC ports with Brocade DCX Backbone SAN swtich (FOS v6.3.0c)?

YES.

You need a Additional FC Port Module in the Cisco in order to Connect like a ISL with Brocade Switch.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I know that we need FC ports on the Cisco NEX 5020 to connect to the Brocade DCX. According to the Cisco Switch Interoperability matrix, to connect Cisco and Brocade, we need to activate NPV mode on our Cisco NEX 5020. On other hand, on the Brocade DCX we need to activate NPIV feature.

Our concerns are, becouse Brocade DCX currently is running in "Brocade Native mode" due to connection to our old SAN switches - McDATA ED-140 M (EMC OEM), can we still accomplish interconnect between Cisco NEX and Brocade DCX in this case?

Super Contributor

--->>>On other hand, on the Brocade DCX we need to activate NPIV feature.

your need to activated NPIV in DCX just the Port which is connected to the Cisco FC Port.

--->>>> becouse Brocade DCX currently is running in "Brocade Native mode" due to connection to our old SAN switches - McDATA ED-140 M

I have a doubt here, as you say that the DCX is connected in "Native Mode" to McDATA in the same Fabric

Are you sure ?

Brocade Native Mode with McDATA Switches is not Supported.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have checked configuration  on both Brocade DCX and McData ED-140M to see in which mode they are running. Configuration of both switches is in attach.

NPIV is allready enabled on Brocade DCX, for all ports.

So, after all, I will not have any problems connecting Cisco NEXUS switches (in NPV mode) to existing Brocade DCX and McData ED-140M switches?

Thanks,

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.