Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Contributor
danderson

Configuration Example Guides

Hi All,

As a new customer to the Brocade ethernet equipment, I'm finding it to be a bit taxing trying to figure out the various syntax and commands associated with the VDX and the FCX platforms.  The Configuration Guides are currently the most helpful tool (along with the forums and tech support).  I would like to see Brocade put out some configuration example guides.  This seems like it would be a great way to show what the product will do and how to setup the various products with some of the more common features.

• Spanning Tree - PVST Setup
  • Spanning Tree - RSTP Setup
  • Link Aggregates - LACP VDX to FCX
  • Link Aggregates - VLAG to HP/IBM Servers
  • Link Aggregates - LACP to Cisco Catalyst
  • Basic Configuration - NTP, SSH, Logon Accounts, new SNMP Strings
  • Radius Authentication Example to Free Radius
  • Basic LLDP configuration for upstream device inventories
  • Basic OSPF Router Configuration
  • VLAN Creation - Layer 2 then adding a Layer3 address

The configuration examples should show the pre and post configs for all devices, have network diagrams showing how ports are uplinked (show the port numbers in the graphic as well as the link agg numbers and make sure the configuration graphics match the example) and list out the steps used to make this happen.  The configuration guides are good, but they don't show all of the steps for setting up various tasks.

(example:  VLAGs are not clear that if you use the same port-channel # on VDX switches within the same fabric, they will be assumed to be VLAGs.  The SSH setup for the FCX is missing the option about the "aaa authentication login default local" option to allow you to have a username and password when you setup SSH.)

Seems like a relatively inexpensive way for Brocade to show off their product and what it can do while helping all of us LAN/WAN admins along the way.

Martin.Mune

Re: Configuration Example Guides

Hi dadnderson,

This is great feedback.  We have created a few of these for FCX (and other Brocade Campus products) in the Best Practice Briefs.  We are working on providing more and your list will help to prioritize the effort.  I know there aren't any yet for VDX for example.  Also, you may wish to follow the Brocade pedia space by clicking on the "receive email notifications" so that you are alerted when additional materials get posted.

Contributor
danderson

I appreciate the links to the Best Practice Briefs and the Brocade Pedia.  I was not aware of these resources. 

After spedning a few minutes looking at the site the latest article that was contributed is over 6 months old.  Really?  I think it could be better.

Martin.Mune

I agree that is way too long.  We are bringing new focus to this area and thus we are expecting to have some new articles up soon.  Once I get a good time frame, I'll make sure to come back to thread and update you on the expected schedule.  For now, please accept my apologies and I hope you stay tuned.

Contributor
danderson

==================================================================================

Configuration Example Guides

created by meversol in Ethernet Fabric - View the full discussion

Hi danderson.  I saw this and wanted to add my opinion... So when you say "the latest article that was contributed is over 6 months old"... almost your entire list, every protocol is extremely "dated" by nature, so unless they've changed within the last 6 months, i think it more productive to review the best practice guide, identify the incorrect content... then challenge, rather then challenge the posting date itself.

Reply to this message by going to Brocade Communities

Start a new discussion in Ethernet Fabric at Brocade Communities

==================================================================================

I would like to respond to this comment above...

I suspect that Brocade has not covered all of the topics listed in the "Best Priactices Breif" and "Brocade Pedia" at such great detail that there really does not need to be any additional information.  I would respectfully disagree and suggest that there could be updated articles on almost every feature available within the switching/routing/fiberchannel platforms.  Businesses are constantly expanding their operations and are looking to use the technology to accomplish more.  Look at the articles related to Spanning Tree - when you look at the complexity of spanning tree and the various interations available, you could fill books of information.  How about adding additional articles regarding the Brocade specific integration of the technology.  What about LLDP.  I have turned on LLDP features and functionality in many different vendor equipment.  The LLDP setup examples in the Brocade Configuration Guide don't cut the mustard.  After 6 hours of research and playing with the LLDP setup it still doesn't work.  A simple guide or two (heaven forbid - three) on basic LLDP configuration would be very beneficial.

It also shows your customers that you value their patronage and are going to be proactive and provide content to help them.  Have you opened a ticket for support (even with valid support contracts)?  It takes way to long to get assistance and answers for very basic questions.  Expanding your learning center postings is cheaper than hiring people to man your helpdesk and have a pretty good return for the investment value.

I've only had your product for about a month and I've already found a major feature that you dont' support on the VDX (DHCP Helpers, MOTD Banner/Logon Banners) and have found incorrect documentation within your switch and configuration guide.  When I opened the ticket with your support team, I had to ask them to get the documentation corrected (I would have hoped to have that option suggested when the problem was found).  I'll stop now, as the more I think about the response that was sent out - the more agrevating it is.  I wouldn't expect that type of response from a Brocade employee. 

Community Manager
Mike Eversole

I absolutely appreciate your feedback on this topic danderson and agree.  Documentation has become an identified target of focus and much of the challenge is prioritization of what gets drafted/published first.  Things sometimes don't move quite as fast as we'd like them too, but I'll see what we can do on these requests. 

More to follow...

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.