Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

Cisco & Brocade FCoE

Hi

I would like to know if i can connect Brocade FCoE switch to Cisco Nexus 5020 switch

there still no standart for FCoE protocol so i just wanted to be sure that products from different firms will work together

Regards

Eli

External Moderator

Re: Cisco & Brocade FCoE

Eli !!!

I don't have any experience with FCoE Switch, but i think that work beetwen Cisco and Brocade. The  Brocade FCoE Switch Ex. the 8000 use same OS and Feature the Standard FabOS.

Here from Brocade Official DOC,

The Brocade 8000 utilizes the same Brocade Fabric O S® that supports the entire Brocade Fibre Channel product family—from fixed port switches to the Brocade DCX® Backbone. This helps ensure backward compatibility that enables the Brocade 8000 to seamlessly integrate with existing Fibre Channel investments.

Fibre Channel ports

Eight Fibre Channel universal (E, F, M, and FL) ports with 1, 2, 4, and 8 Gbit/sec

Both Cisco and Brocade FCoE operated trough FC.

Not 100% sure, but 99,99%

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Eli,

FCoE encapsulates FC faithfully without any modifications to the FC frames and preserves FC's upper constructs. As a result, FCoE integrates seamlessly into FC environemnt and does not eliminate any existing FC interoperability problems. As a result, Brocade does not recommend configurations where mutivendor FC switches are connected to the same fabric.

On the other hand, the Brocade 8000 CEE ports may be connected to IEEE standards compliant Ethernet ports and are expected to work in that mode. Look for interoperability matrics in the next few weeks.

Regards,

Ahmad.

External Moderator

Ahmad,

do you mean the FCoE Port is/can Mapped to the FC Port ?

As Example, the Fabric will be build as follow:

From Host/Server -to Ethernet Switch -to FCoE Switch -to any Standard FC Switch -to SAN Array.

Would this Design correct work ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

my design was :

Server -> Brocade FCoE switch (Blade or Top of the Rack)  -> Cisco Nexus 5020 -> NetApp (FC + Ethernet)

will this work ?

Regards

Eli

Occasional Contributor

Eli,

The specific configuration you are mentioning needs to be tested before one can make definite statements about it.

In principle, Brocade 8000 provides IEEE standards compliant CEE ports that customers may use to connect to other IEEE standards compliant devices. These connections are expected to work.

We agree that FCoE protocol has yet to be approved, but that is not a hindering factor as the draft standard is at a point where it is stable enough for products to be released.

If you are looking to use the 5020 as an Ethernet or CEE switch, then you may want to consider alternative products that are more appropriate for that purpose.

Brocade will establish and publish an interpoerability matrix containing tested devices.

Brocade products are designed using open industry standards and are intended to work with 3rd party products that comply with open industry standards.

Regards,

Ahmad.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks all for help

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.