Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

New Contributor

Big problems setting up a Brocade 6720 as "simple plug & play" 10 GBit Ethernet switch - Help needed!

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

I am totally new to Brocade switches. We recently bought a used Brocade 6720 switch with 60 enabled ports to be used as a standart 10 GBit ethernet switch, so we can connect our Windows / Mac / Linux workstations to it, as well as our Windows or Linux servers, for peer to peer networking.

The show license command shows only the additional port licenses, so 60 ports are enabled.

There is no Layer 3, VDX, FCoE license shown. Do I need any of them?

If yes, which, how and where can I obtain one?

• sw0# show license
  • rbridge-id: 1
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    First Ports on Demand license - additional 10 port upgrade license
    Feature nameSmiley TongueORTS_ON_DEMAND_1
    Second Ports on Demand license - additional 10 port upgrade license
    Feature nameSmiley TongueORTS_ON_DEMAND_2

The NOS is 2.1.0. Is that OK?

I've seen some have at least a NOS 3.0 version, somewhere a NOS 4.0 was mentioned, but I was not sure if that was for the 6720.

What is the latest NOS version supported and where can I get it from?

As the product is EOL, is there any chance at all to obtain something?

• sw0# show version
  • Network Operating System Software
    Network Operating System Version: 2.1.0
    Copyright (c) 1995-2010 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc.
    Build Time: 21:10:10 Sep 28, 2011
    Firmware name: v2.1.0Control Processor: Freescale Semiconductor 8548E with 2000 MB of memory
  • Appl Primary/Secondary Versions
    ------------------------------------------
    NOS v2.1.0
    v2.1.0

The switch is currently configured running in VCS mode, not standalone mode.

The connected Brocade SFP+ modules are recognized, the links are seen (as far as I can tell from the boot log).

However, the ports can't see each other, I can't ping any other ports. I can only ping the switch via the RJ45 ethernet port for administration.

• sw0# show version
  • Network Operating System Software
    Network Operating System Version: 2.1.0
    Copyright (c) 1995-2010 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc.
    Build Time: 21:10:10 Sep 28, 2011
    Firmware name: v2.1.0Control Processor: Freescale Semiconductor 8548E with 2000 MB of memory
  • Appl Primary/Secondary Versions
    ------------------------------------------
    NOS v2.1.0
    v2.1.0

Any idea how to get this working, configuring it as a pure plug-and-play 10 GBit switch, similar to a simple 1G consumer switch?

We need a simple "plug-and-play" 10 GBit switch functionality, possibly with port trunking / LACP support to connect servers. One global VLAN would be fine for us, peer to peer networking for graphic workstations and high bandwidth.

• sw0# show vlan brief
    Total Number of VLANs configured : 2
    VLAN Name State Ports
    (F)-FCoE (u)-Untagged, (t)-Tagged
    (c)-Converged
    ======== ================ ======= ================================================
    1 default ACTIVE
    1002(F) VLAN1002 ACTIVE

I am used to web-GUI style interfaces. I played with NOS 2.1.0 now and understand how to enter commands etc. However, I need help to enable the 10 GBit ethernet on the switch, so that each port can send data to each other port. Please help!

At some point we may use iSCSI - I assume that would not need any extra license or configuration compared to normal ethernet?

Any help highly appreciated. Maybe there is a 6720 guru out there who can chime in and give us some good advice.

Best regards

Axel

PS: I assume its something "simple" I am missing here, but I try since several days and decided now to ask the community to not waste more valueable time. Thanks in advance!

Contributor

Re: Big problems setting up a Brocade 6720 as "simple plug & play" 10 GBit Ethernet switch - Help needed!

Hi,

I'm not a guru, but hopefully my input would be helpful. Smiley Happy 6720 is still a beast - it's a pity you're using it as a standalone, plug-and-play switch. Smiley Happy

The show license command shows only the additional port licenses, so 60 ports are enabled.

There is no Layer 3, VDX, FCoE license shown. Do I need any of them?

If yes, which, how and where can I obtain one?

• sw0# show license

Without any licenses no 10GB connectivity will be provided, so according to your license you seem to be entitled for 20 10GB ports only. Attach your 10GB capable equipment to the port (for example 1/0/1) and run:

conf t

dpod 1/0/1
reserve

That will reserve 10GB license for the port. To release the license run 'release' on dpod 1/0/1. To see the status of the interface run 'show interface tengigabitethernet 1/0/1'.

For the purposes that you mentioned the current license should be fine.

sw0# show license

The NOS is 2.1.0. Is that OK?

I've seen some have at least a NOS 3.0 version, somewhere a NOS 4.0 was mentioned, but I was not sure if that was for the 6720.

What is the latest NOS version supported and where can I get it from?

As the product is EOL, is there any chance at all to obtain something?

This is pretty old. You might want to upgrade to 4 (6720 is listed as supported hardware in 4.1.3c). However, if I'm not wrong, you will need a valid Brocade support contract to access the download section of https://my.brocade.com.

The switch is currently configured running in VCS mode, not standalone mode.

The connected Brocade SFP+ modules are recognized, the links are seen (as far as I can tell from the boot log).

However, the ports can't see each other, I can't ping any other ports. I can only ping the switch via the RJ45 ethernet port for administration.

Once you confirmed with 'show interface tengigabitethernet 1/0/1' that the speed was correctly negotiated to 10GB, you need to put the port into switchport mode and add it to your default VLAN 1:

conf t

interface tengigabitethernet 1/0/1
switchport
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 1

Hope it helps.

Contributor

Re: Big problems setting up a Brocade 6720 as "simple plug & play" 10 GBit Ethernet switch - Help needed!

The 6720-60 has 40 ports enabled by default. With the two additional licenses you can use the full 60 ports. 

Maybe also do yourself a favor and follow the upgrade path from version 2.1  till 4.1.3b. 

Regards
Jörg Kost
New Contributor

Hi Jörg?

I think we have already 60 ports enabled. See first message with the info of two additional 10 port licenses.

However, for some reason the ports do not communicate between each other and it is surely a configuration issue.

We bought this unit 2nd hand, so I am not sure if we can get any updates for it.

If it will work as simple "plug and play" 10 GBit ethernet (and at some point also iSCSI) switch then that is all we really need.

What is the exact procedure to set it up for using all of its 10 GBit ports the way I can use e.g. a port on a simple 1 GBit switch "out of the box"?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most easiest way:

enable
conf t
interface TenGigabitEthernet 0/0/7
switchport

This will enable port 7 for ethernet. 

Regards
Jörg Kost

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.