Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

Auto-forming vLAG on access ports

Hello,

I love the idea of automatically forming ISLs between VDXes, and that why I have got a question about why not automatically form vLAG on access ports between several CNA ports, installed in the same compute box, and several VDXes of the same logical chassis/fabric? For example, if compute administrator configures NIC teaming on his side then fabric understands that and configure vLAG on its side. As a result - compute administrator gets HA connection between computer and switching fabric without asking help of networking administrator. How do you like such idea? 

Contributor

Re: Auto-forming vLAG on access ports

Honestly? There are many pifalls that can occur with an vLAG between different vendors - for me it would be enough when all my manually configured vLAGs would work! :-)

Occasional Contributor

Re: Auto-forming vLAG on access ports

There are not so many parameters on a switch's side that have to be tried in hope to make NIC teaming working. I assume that, for converged Ethernet with FCoE, multiple redundand connections between computer and switches - "must have". I think that auto-configuration feature would significantly decrease time of hardware deployment while consuming less network administrators' work time. In case of auto-configuration failure, server administrators always have an option to do it manually or ask for help.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.