Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

Adding Switches to Production Fabric

I know I did this in the training, but I'm adding two new 6740T-1G switches to our existing fabric (2 x 6740) running in logical chassis mode, and I want to double check that I have the correct procedure as I only have one chance to get it right.  

I've ensured that the new switches are running the same software which is 4.1.0a (so a fabric license shouldn't be required).  I've booted up each switch individually and issued the command 'vcs vcsid 1 rbridge-id 3 logical-chassis enable' and 'vcs vcsid 1 rbridge-id 4 logical-chassis enable' respectively, and I've given them the hostnames of RB3 and RB4.

Now I'm at the point where I need to connect them to the production switches.  At this stage, do I put the switches in the rack powered off and connect all the cables and then bring them up one at a time and they will just magically join the fabric?  Is there any pre-provisioning that I need to do on the production switches at all?  My biggest concern is having these new switches overwrite the running configuration of the production switches when I connect them.  I know this shouldn't be the case, but I just can't afford to be wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Mark J

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.