Design & Build

Brocade Professional Services Partners (Federal) - Army I3MP BRAC Guide

by dthomas on ‎12-29-2011 11:41 AM - edited on ‎04-07-2014 01:54 PM by pmadduru (592 Views)

Campus area networks are used to provide voice, video, and data to thousands of users dispersed among different buildings in common geographic areas. These network infrastructures can be comprised of switches, routers, wireless access points, fiber optic and copper cabling. Many organizations collaborate to merge these different types of network equipment into massive, complex, comprehensive solutions. In order to deliver solutions that meet our customers’ business and mission objectives, these campus area networks must be properly designed, configured, installed, and documented. Our partners and integrators must be prepared to gather all of the information and tools needed to configure and install Brocade systems that will support these campus area networks. Our partners and integrators must also be prepared to install the peripheral components that these Brocade devices will rely upon. This document serves as a guide to help collect the essential tools and technical information needed to successfully install campus area networks that meet our customers’ performance, availability, and security requirements.

This guide is intended to assist in the completion of U.S. Army I3MP/BRAC projects by presenting information that consultants have learned in the field. It was not written to be a step-by-step guide as each project will vary, and there can be many mitigating factors in the way each individual base, general contractor and prime handles tasks and changes. Instead, this guide is designed to be a general technical and procedural guide so the consultants implementing the solution are able to ask the right questions, gather the proper data, build solid documentation and provide excellence in the services they deliver.

All information in this guide pertaining to specific firmware releases and document releases is only current as of the publication of this document. Special care must be taken at every step to ensure the latest relevant documentation from the original source is obtained; this is especially true of any DISA APLs and STIGs.

When performing installations in newly constructed or renovated buildings, schedule changes and scope creep are even greater concerns. For example, delays in the installation of electrical, security, or safety systems can affect our project timelines and the amount of work required to adjust appropriately. Communication between all parties involved in these projects is absolutely critical.

Comments
by ross.chenoweth
on ‎01-06-2012 08:07 PM

Both authors of this document participated in one of the most complex Army I3MP/BRAC installs.  As a NEC employee (contractor) who worked alongside them during this project, I recommend readers follow their advice and guidance, which is field-tested and true.

Contributors