Data Center

How can you make the most of SDN? | #AskAlan

by Alan Murphy on ‎11-12-2012 03:03 PM (863 Views)

Software Defined Networking (SDN) is a big discussion point in the IT world at the moment, and for good reason. It means no more dealing with individual devices, or manual set up or reconfiguration of switches when they need to be moved or when new locations need to be provisioned with network services. The separation of the control and data planes and the addition of programme interfaces to switches gives unprecedented flexibility to networks and helps to decrease latency. This flexibility and speed is essential for keeping pace with the needs and increasingly high expectations of network users. But if the control plane can gain significant innovation advantages from this separation, what’s happening on the level of the data plane? Is a traditional architecture enough or do we need to rethink it?

I’ll tell you what I think needs to happen in the data plane to make the most of SDN in the latest video in my #AskAlan series.

Are there any questions about networking that are puzzling you? Ask me and I’ll answer the best questions later in the series - simply tweet your question using the #AskAlan hashtag on Twitter.