Data Center

Brook.Reams_1

First Reported Zombie Attack on a Data Center!!! - New Video & Eyewitness Photo

by Brook.Reams_1 on ‎02-26-2013 12:46 PM (285 Views)

BREAKING NEWS: First Reported Zombie Attack on a Data Center

Ever since the Arpanet was designed (rumored to be able to withstand nuclear attacks), every network designer knows they have to anticipate what can go wrong and ensure the network keeps networking no matter what.

Network bloggers, such as Ivan Pepelnjak at IPSpace.net and Gregg Ferro at etherealmind.com, write article after article about how to design availability, resiliency and robustness into a network in anticipation of the unexpected.

But, I can’t find anything written anywhere about how to design a network to survive a Zombie
Attack!!

And we just had one here on the Brocade campus in San Jose, CA. Here’s the video clip of the first recorded Zombie attack on a data center.

WARNING!!

This footage has graphic scenes of violence that maybe offensive to some of our readers. It’s full frontal, Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained, blood and gore. Oh those poor switches!!!

Zombies Attack Data Center - YouTube

Zombie Attack on Data Center - Source: Brocade Survivors

We don’t have many details yet. So we are asking anyone who witnessed the unspeakable carnage, and had the presence of mind to capture pictures or video on their cell phone as they ran for their lives, to please post it here.

Make no mistake, we will get to the bottom of this gruesome and blood thirsty rampage.

Among the unanswered questions at this hour:

• Did this attack anticipate pending cutbacks at Homeland
    Security in preparation for the US government spending sequestration?
  • Was this attack sponsored by a desperate competitor: Cisco? Juniper? Arista?
  • How did this Zombie invasion infiltrate the Brocade campus?
  • What do they eat?
  • Where did they go?
  • How can we prevent this from every happening again?

We will be posting updates as we get more information.

Stay Tuned!!!

=====================================================================

UPDATE ON THE BREAKING NEWS: First Reported Zombie Attack on a Data Center

We just got this video from security cameras on campus.  It seems the Zombies (or Zom Bees???) were seen participating in a spontaneous Harlem Shake on campus.  And, we also received a photo from an eye-witness posted in the comments below.

Stay tuned for more updates

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments
by wherr on ‎02-26-2013 01:57 PM

They cornered me in the elevator!!

elevator-small.jpg

by Brook.Reams_1 on ‎02-26-2013 02:18 PM

Hey Wherr,

You must have been really frightened.  Did they say anything to you?  How did you escape?

by wherr on ‎02-26-2013 02:18 PM

I tossed my old beeper and Palm III at them!  They devoured it!

by Brook.Reams_1 on ‎02-26-2013 03:27 PM

Okay.  So it seems they weren't like normal Zombe's who typically devour brains.  These seem to want to eat data, and lots of it.  Hmmm ...

by wherr on ‎02-26-2013 03:30 PM

You know, you could be right.  I heard a loud sucking sound like data draining into the Ether.  If they eat data, that's why I managed to slip out alive.  And zombies are slow....

by Brook.Reams_1 on ‎02-26-2013 04:11 PM

Ah ha. So that's why they attacked Brocade first and not CSCO, JNPR, etc.

They must have smelled the aroma from dozens of 100 GbE pipes and 16 Gbps Fibre Channel trunks coursing through our datacenter and that's what attracted them. 

The internal investigation team is still sorting through the details, but it looks like even with a room full of warm blooded people, all with the enlarged brains common in the Valley they could have feasted on, they went after racks full of Brocade switches instead.

More To Come Later ...

by on ‎02-28-2013 02:37 AM

isn't what we usually call "spring fever"? :smileywink:

by Brook.Reams_1 on ‎02-28-2013 07:22 AM

Alexey,

That's a thought.  But, there maybe more going on.  See this recent update.

Zombie Data Center Attack - Gov Test Gone Haywire?

by Brook.Reams_1 on ‎02-28-2013 02:43 PM

Bill,

Thank goodness I'm based in our Broomfield, CO office and didn't have to see that in person. 

Based on Twitter traffic I found from others who saw the attack, there was mention of a mysterious "Test29". Do you think that head was a result of the test?

I wonder if this is evidence of some deranged madman's attempt to fill the shortage of network administrator's in the Valley?  It does look like some customers I've seen at 2:00 am who have been beating their heads against complicated configuration scripts from our well know competitors. 

We will get to the bottom of this I'm sure.

Bill, thanks for providing another clue.