Application Delivery (ADX)

Contributor
steve14

nat translation timeout and tcp keepalive

Hi community,

I understand the default nat translation timeout for tcp connections is 120 secs and I could possibly lift it up to 1 hour but I was rather trying to engage tcp keepalive between the client-server to keep the session active for the nat to not to be dropped. I can see the tcp keepalive messages are coming through successfully with 60 sec period (no other traffic is passing though as my application might be silent for quite a while) but still the firewall time outs the translation after 120 seconds as if there was not keepalive at all.

any ideas why the loadbalancer is killing the sessions although must be seeing the keepalive packets?

thanks,

Steve.

Contributor
steve14

Re: nat translation timeout and tcp keepalive

I now have a application that keeps the tcp session open for more then a hour without any activity on it so even when setting "ip nat trans tcp 3600" (which is the allowed maximum) the tcp gets broken. TCP keepalive is enabled on the application side and is proven to be active (sending keepalive packet every minute) but that doesn't seem to make any effect and the loadbalancer terminates the session after 1 hour.

what is the problem with the keepalives - is it not considered by the loadbalancer as a real traffic?

thanks for any help.

Steve.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.