Application Delivery (ADX)

Contributor

What type of ServerIron should I look for to replace a ServerIron XL?

One of my customer is using a pretty old ServerIron XL right now and they are hitting the performance limits now. Should I suggest to move to a 4G or an ADX 1000 - any thoughts?

Super Contributor

Re: What type of ServerIron should I look for to replace a ServerIron XL?

There is no simple answer - the 4G is a great product and the price is hot from my point of view. I am as well sure it is offering more than enough performance because the XL was fast enough so far and the 4G is a lot faster. Even the smallest ADX 1000 (1016-2) is 2-3 times as fast as the 4G which is of course an argument as well. I would go for the ADX 1000 because it is a new product and there is a bright future for this product. You have to look at it long term as well. The ADX 1000 is the smallest unit of our new generation of ADCs. It does have a lot of power and a lot of memory. Probably you do not need that much performance and memory (to handle 16 million sessions) BUT some future features might need more memory and more CPU cycles. Again: the 4G is a great product but the ADX is a new generation of ADCs.

There are some small feature differences in between the ServerIron 4G and the ADX - get in touch with a local Brocade SE to discuss these differences. Have a look at your performance needs and check your potential performance needs in 1 or 2 years.

Contributor

OK - your recommendation is the ADX - do you think the 4G is going end of sales soon?

Super Contributor

I do not think so. The ServerIron 4G is a pretty cool product - I guess the typical behaviour is to monitor the market acceptance of the new platform. Decisions are based on the fact whether the market acceptance is good or not as good as expected. Keep in mind that you are going to buy a support contract together with the devices and you will get the support you are paying for even for a product which is going EOS afterwards.

Contributor

Checked with the customer and they would like to start to use SSL acceleration/offload asap. Any thoughts?

Super Contributor

SSL acceleration is not available at the ADX 1000 right now - you would have to look at the 4G-SSL if you need SSL NOW. The SSL portion of the ADX is coming out soon.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.