Application Delivery (ADX)

Contributor

Split DNS - is it possible to send internal queries to a special set of DNS servers?

I do have a customer who wants to do the following with DNS requests: external queries should go to a different set of real servers than internal queries. What is the best way to do this?

Super Contributor

Re: Split DNS - is it possible to send internal queries to a special set of DNS servers?

There are multiple ways to do this from my point of view but I am not 100% sure if I get your Q right. You need to send internal DNS Qs to other real servers than external DNS Qs - do that mean you need to send Qs from internal hosts to a special set of real servers or does it mean you need to send queries for "internal" names to a special set of DNS servers?

There are some options:

1. use different VIPs for internal and external clients - each VIP might have a special set of real servers behind

2. you might want to use PBSLB to send queries to different real servers depending on the source IP of a Q ( )

3. talking about JetCore (ServerIron 350/450/850 and ServerIron GT C/E and ServerIron 4G) you might want to use TCA (total content analysis) to send queries to real servers based on the content of the query. This feature is not available for the ADX right now but it will be available in a future release.

Contributor

Re: Split DNS - is it possible to send internal queries to a special set of DNS servers?

The second option looks good. Let me check the document you have mentioned.

Super Contributor

Let me know if you need some more help!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.