Application Delivery (ADX)

Contributor

ServerIron with SSL - how do I scale beyond the limits of an HA cluster?

I am working with a customer to add SSL offload to their existing setup - they do have a pair of ServerIron GT-Es right now with WSM6-2 modules. I am thinking about adding an SSL service module to both GT-Es. It looks like there are two different modules:

SRVC-SSL6-1

and

SRVC-SSL6-2

The -2 blade is twice as fast as the -1 blade. I do have a single slot left at each of the GT-Es right now which implies I can not get more SSL processing power than with a single SRVC-SSL6-2. Correct? It seems to be possible to put up to two module into the same chassis but this would require a second free slot which is something I do not have.

Are there any other way to scale to higher performance levels?

Thanks for your replies!

Super Contributor

Re: ServerIron with SSL - how do I scale beyond the limits of an HA cluster?

There is a way to get some more performance. Using the SRVC-SSL6-x modules implies that you are going to insert the SSL processing power into the existing GT-E chassis. It is as well possible to load balance SSL offloaders (like SSL enabled ServerIron 4Gs (ServerIron 4G-SSL)) - you could use 6 or 8 or even more ServerIron 4G-SSL to provide SSL processing power.

You are basically starting to load balance SSL offloaders doing so and this is called "SSL Appliance Mode" if you look into the documentation. You need to look into the Install Guide and you will find the following:

Chapter "ServerIron 4G Series Deployment Guide" -> "Deployment Scenarios" -> "Design 3b: SSL Appliance Mode-2"

There is something called "Design 3a" as well but 3b is more scalable from my point of view because both load balancers (the existing GT-Es) are able to use ALL SSL enabled 4Gs at the same time using 3b instead of having their own set of 4Gs as in design 3a. I do not have a link to the Install Guide handy right now - I am sorry.

Here is the picture out of the install guide:

appliance.JPG

There are configuration examples in the Install Guide as well.

Hope this helps.

Super Contributor

Re: ServerIron with SSL - how do I scale beyond the limits of an HA cluster?

Please click to enlarge the picture - it is close to being unreadable without doing so :-(

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.