Application Delivery (ADX)

Occasional Contributor

Real Server/Real Port in multiple VIPs simultaneously

We are load-balancing TCP traffic to SQL Server Analysis Services reporting instances with the ServerIron. Each real server has one instance with multiple client-specific cubes in it.Our development team has asked us to explore a scenario where one SQL Server Analysis Services instance simultaneously exists in two load-balancing pools. In other words, ClientA would go to their cubes on ServerASmiley Tongueort1 and ServerBSmiley Tongueort1 and ClientB would go to their cubes on ServerBSmiley Tongueort1 and ServerCSmiley Tongueort1. Currently, we cannot do this, because the same server/port combination cannot exist within multiple virtual servers.

We assume that we could use DNS or IP trickiness to get this to work, by giving the same instance multiple cnames or multiple ports, and assigning them to different virtual servers--but before we go down that route, I'm just curious about the advisability of this. Good idea? Bad idea? Got another suggested approach?

New Contributor

Re: Real Server/Real Port in multiple VIPs simultaneously

Hello,

If you are looking to associate your SQL server(s) on same port from multiple VIPs, then it is indeed possible. The trick is to make use of alias ports and then disable port translation for alias ports. See the sample below:

server real rs1 10.1.1.1

port 1001

port 1002               <-- define alias port

server real rs2 10.1.1.2

port 1001

port 1002               <-- define alias port

server virtual vs1 200.1.1.1

port 1001

bind 1001 rs1 1001 rs2 1001

server virtual vs2 200.1.1.2

port 1001

bind 1001 rs1 1002 real-port 1001 rs2 1002 real-port 1001     <--- disables port translation for alias ports

Pg 76 inside SLB guide provides more details on use of alias ports.

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/product_manuals/B_ServerIron/ServerIron_12301_SLBguide.pdf

Additionally, you may also want to check the posting below:

http://community.brocade.com/message/15427#15427

Does this solve your need? Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak

Occasional Contributor

Re: Real Server/Real Port in multiple VIPs simultaneously

Thank you, dkothari...that exactly solved my problem & pointed me in the direction of the appropriate reading material. I appreciate it!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.