Application Delivery (ADX)

Contributor

Least connection does not seem to distribute traffic - why that?

I do have a simple setup load balancing traffic to port 443 to 3 real servers. Looking at the stats I am seeing traffic to one of the servers only. What am I doing wrong?

Super Contributor

Re: Least connection does not seem to distribute traffic - why that?

There are two reasons for this from the top of my head:

1. The least connection is going to send the request to the real server with the lowest amount of connections. Do you have a single client only? Please ensure you do have MULTIPLE sessions open at the same time. Having a single connection open at a time from a single server might result in the selection of the same server with every request because ALL server do have 0 concurrent connections at the time the request comes in.

2. Stickiness/persistency. The ServerIron is going to enable stickiness per default for port 443 (SSL). Have a look at the configuration and look for the line "port ssl sticky". You do have a single test client only most probably - ALL the connection from this client are going to the same server as soon as the real server got selected the first time in case sticky is enabled. The ServerIron ensures the client hits the same server all the time.

Contributor

Re: Least connection does not seem to distribute traffic - why that?

It was related to the sticky setting and my test client which is a single maschine only.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.